Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Traffic Violations  (Read 1721 times)

Doodsmack

• View Profile
    • Email
Traffic Violations
« on: October 29, 2009, 08:07:57 AM »
I was surprised to see an instruction on GW's application to provide a detailed separate statement if you have more than two moving traffic violations on your record. How are we supposed to find out how many we've had and when they were?

The application also requires a separate statement if you've been charged with a crime including a midemeanor, unless it has been expunged. I was once charged with disorderly conduct but was acquitted. Is it necessarily expunged from my record if I was acquitted?

mccarthy

• View Profile
Re: Traffic Violations
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 02:28:51 PM »
You should just err on the side of full disclosure, telling them everything you know and can remember. If you have time, contact the proper authorities and make a diligent effor to retrieve some of the missing info. DPS, maybe? Have fun with that...

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 12:25:37 AM »
I was wondering if my insurance company would have this info.  This would be useful for those of us who've lived in many places --- and been ticketed in more.

Mitchell

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 02:04:12 AM »
Not all tickets are reported to your insurance. 
Mmmmmmmitchell

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 09:20:47 AM »
Not all tickets are reported to your insurance. 

But this might be at least be a good way to figure out some of those straggler tickers that I forgot about.

Update:  This method was not helpful.

Richard4RollTide

• Only the best will do!
    • MSN Messenger - Richard4RollTide@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Richard4RollTide
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Richard4RollTide
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 01:25:14 PM »
It's all a crap shoot really when it comes to some schools asking and some not. Of the four I've already filled apps out to, 2 asked for detailed information (both T3 incidently) and 2 said to not include speeding tickets (both T1). As far as getting the information, you might have to just do a background check on yourself if you have no clue what the actual answers are.
LSAT - December 2009
GPAs - UGPA - 2.833, Last 24 GPA - 3.4163, Last 48 GPA - 3.7215, Maj GPA - 3.38, Minor GPA - 4.165
LSN: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/rwhennings3

Doodsmack

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 01:48:32 PM »
I think I might actually be able to remember approximately when all mine were. Definitely not going to have exact dates though. Unfortunately just got another two weeks ago.

Does anyone have any insight on my disorderly conduct charge? It seems to me that an acquittal should wipe away any need to ever discuss the charge in the future. That's just my opinion though.

Miche

• View Profile
    • Sharp & Useless
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 01:42:15 AM »
There's a difference between expungement and acquittal. If GW specifically exempts only expunged records, you'll hafta submit addenda. (If you're wildly loathe to do so, you can call GW and see what kind of permission you can get...)

Massive invasion of privacy though it seemed, I recall several schools requesting to know about *expunged* records when I applied.

Edited to add: I know many law students who submitted addenda for issues much more egregious than repeated traffic violations. Misdemeanors and other crimes didn't prevent them from getting into their top choice schools.
Lawyers: performing acts on desks that no decent person would ever do.
-Miche, co-creator of Sharp & Useless

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 12:49:58 PM »
I think I might actually be able to remember approximately when all mine were. Definitely not going to have exact dates though. Unfortunately just got another two weeks ago.

Does anyone have any insight on my disorderly conduct charge? It seems to me that an acquittal should wipe away any need to ever discuss the charge in the future. That's just my opinion though.

If the app asks whether you've ever been arrested, you must report acquittals. 

elle-y

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 03:08:11 PM »
Both of the schools I applied to in Oregon wanted FULL law violation disclosure - every traffic ticket, etc. They are the only schools that asked for traffic violations. Does it come down to different state bars wanting different info?
3.1 / 156