Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3.39 GPA, 160 LSAT - Chicago - Where to go?  (Read 4045 times)

nitr0x99

• View Profile
    • Email
3.39 GPA, 160 LSAT - Chicago - Where to go?
« on: October 27, 2009, 03:19:39 PM »
3.39 GPA

160 LSAT

I live in Chicago and want to stay in Chicago

I was thinking about applying to DePaul, Loyola, and Kent.  I think U of I is out of my range. Anything else?  I don't want to pay out of state tuition unless I can get a decent scholarship that makes up for the increased tuition.

Any ideas on other places I should apply?

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 3.39 GPA, 160 LSAT - Chicago - Where to go?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 11:08:25 PM »
3.39 GPA

160 LSAT

I was thinking about applying to DePaul, Loyola, and Kent.  I think U of I is out of my range. Anything else?  I don't want to pay out of state tuition unless I can get a decent scholarship that makes up for the increased tuition.

From what I heard the Chicago legal market is pretty bad.  Why stay in Chicago? 

nitr0x99

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 05:46:07 PM »
3.39 GPA

160 LSAT

I like Chicago.  I think its a great city and I know alot about it. My family and friends are here. Also, I think paying out of state tuition is kinda ridiculous if I have the opportunity to avoid it.

What do you suggest? I have an open mind

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 07:59:09 PM »
3.39 GPA

160 LSAT

I like Chicago.  I think its a great city and I know alot about it. My family and friends are here. Also, I think paying out of state tuition is kinda ridiculous if I have the opportunity to avoid it.

There are plenty of Tier2 and Tier 3 law schools that would allow you to pay in-state tuition after the first year. 

nitr0x99

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 06:03:29 PM »
3.39 GPA

160 LSAT

What schools (outside illinois) would you guys suggest I apply to considering my GPA and LSAT score? Are there any schools outside of illinois that are better than the ones in illinois that will accept me?

There are plenty of Tier2 and Tier 3 law schools that would allow you to pay in-state tuition after the first year. 

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 10:02:57 AM »
3.39 GPA

160 LSAT

What schools (outside illinois) would you guys suggest I apply to considering my GPA and LSAT score? Are there any schools outside of illinois that are better than the ones in illinois that will accept me?

UFlorida, Florida State, Georgia State, UAlabama, UArkansas, UMississippi, UHouston, LSU, and UTennessee. 

NMUZ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 01:32:48 PM »
What does instate tuition matter if you are only looking at private schools in Chicago, if you are at an out of state public school you will probably pay less than the Chicago options

nitr0x99

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 01:30:16 AM »
What does instate tuition matter if you are only looking at private schools in Chicago, if you are at an out of state public school you will probably pay less than the Chicago options

If I go to a Chicago private school I can commute from home to save on living expenses.

If I leave Chicago I'd have to pay out of state tuition + travel expenses(flights) + rent for an apartment

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 05:54:39 PM »

If I go to a Chicago private school I can commute from home to save on living expenses.

If I leave Chicago I'd have to pay out of state tuition + travel expenses(flights) + rent for an apartment

You pay out of state tuition for only the first year at some state schools and then you pay about $10K per year for tuition for year 2 and 3.  Flights is only twice or three times a year.  It's not that expensive if you're looking at the overal cost. 

swc5018

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 08:24:23 PM »
Rutgers gives instate tuition to anyone w/ a lease on an apartment in NJ, even first year. Other schools might as well... couldn't hurt to ask if an out of state school interests you.