Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where is my Michelle Obama? Introduce yourself to BLSD  (Read 3451 times)

Isis

• Divinely Inspired & Victoriously Anointed!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Where is my Michelle Obama? Introduce yourself to BLSD
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 01:57:39 AM »
Isis- I'm think I want to get some experience in Big Law but not stay in it to long.

I have so many different areas of law that attracts me that I think I will end up trying to pursue public office. The opportunity to promote change and inspire other minority guys is what really motivates me to pursue law.

I know all to well about how black men fall into the system because they aren't aware of all the options that they have. I have a uncle who has recently been arrested for the death of his own baby even though the child was with its mother who lived 2 hours away. Crazyness...I'm not sure if criminal defense if right for me but legalized I feel you about the outreach/awareness programs.

Its nice to meet you all. Where is everybody applying to for law school?

Public office is somewhat alluring, but we shall see. All these scandals are a major turn off... in addition to all the a**kissing these politicians do. I dont want to compromise who I am or what I stand for but I know sometimes somehting has to give.... we'll see.

@legalized-- hey Rattler!

Isis

• Divinely Inspired & Victoriously Anointed!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 01:59:32 AM »
Hello everyone!

I'm a newbie in a sense that this is my first official posting. I am currently a 1L at Vermont Law School (I know ya'll like, Vermont? Yea me too lol) I went to Spelman and although I was studying along the lines of health science/public health, I always had a desire to attend law school. My law interests are corporate, public interest, international, and health law. I know I'm all over the place! But I feel like I want to definitely focus my time, attention, and resources to utilizing my law degree to help minorities and marginalized individuals. That is my ultimate goal b/c i do not know what opportunities may be thrown my way in the next coming years, and I am definitely making that an integral part of my life, whether its pro bono in a law firm, working at a non-profit, or offering free legal services on my own twice a month to those classes of people.

I was always checkin the boards last yr as I was applying to law achool. I never posted anything b/c i found that most of my questions were answered by doing a quick search. I guess I will be actually part-take in discussions on these boards now since I feel like the sense of community is returning.

And for all those who are applying to law school this cycle, I want to offer my words of encouragement and best of luck! And for the record, law school aint bad at all! Its definitely doable once you get a firm foundation in ur doctrinal courses.

Good Luck!!

jsimp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 11:30:14 AM »
Are any of you on twitter? If so, lets follow each other. I'm @jsimp7891

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 09:15:39 AM »

Perhaps this is a sign of progress when you can voluntarily out yourself instead of having some racists do it for you.
YLS c/o 2009

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 08:23:52 PM »

Perhaps this is a sign of progress when you can voluntarily out yourself instead of having some racists do it for you.

:D

jazzyslim

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2009, 05:02:29 PM »
Thank you Isis!
Law school is really straight-forward..I was disappointed when I did not encounter the craziness or the brutality ppl make it  ;)

MissMaryland

• "Don't believe the lie, you can have it all"
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2009, 12:04:29 AM »
Hey Everyone! I'm a board-lurker who never posted, definitely no Michelle Obama (I'd love her wardrobe) but thought I'd introduce myself anyway haha.

I'm a Law and Legal Studies junior at Penn State University (I love it!). I plan to take the LSAT in June and apply to Law School in the fall. My top choice is Tulane University because they have a Sports Law certification program. My other choices include the University of Maryland, American University, Georgetown, George Washington University, Penn State University, University of Richmond, Boston College....basically I have a lot of narrowing down to do. I've worked the entire time I've been in college and at 22 I am currently handling operations for a small finance company but I'm ready to quit the job and devote myself full time to pursuing my law degree!

Eventually I want to practice Sports Law and work for the NFL Players Association or work in Sports management etc. But if my dad has his way I'll have an office next door to his at the Department of Justice (working hard to avoid that lol)

It's so cool to see other men and women of color going after their JD. Good luck everyone!

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2009, 04:33:47 AM »
Isis *wink* (no homo) hey yourself Rattler!  ;D

Far as the question on what schools, I was told having a WIDE selection of schools from all levels of selectivity (dream schools down to "everybody gets in here" schools)...so my choices range from top 10s like yale, harvard. and cornell (whose 25th percentile UG gpa i am above, so I am in their middle 50% range, unlike the others), good ones like Georgetown, average ones like American and mercer and ones that are strong regionally like UMiami and Georgia State, and others like Howard (although I don't want to go to another HBCU for law, just because I thought a different experience might be good for my health.

I know the name brand schools always look good when it's time to impress future clients, but i wonder if a solo is the end goal how much that really matters, cause with lawyers aren't people either going for the one with the lowest fees and best customer service...or the one all their friends and family use?

For practical experience I was thinking being a state attorney would be a good way to get experience, get some loans excused, and get exposure/make contacts.

If all these lofty plans go up in smoke due to a bad lsat etc...then hey, I go where I am accepted that is convenient and make the best of that, because I know people that went to what i believe are t3 or 4 schools and are doing quite well...it gets very hard though, trying to decipher how much of the name brand snobbery applies to what I will face as I go about MY plans for my legal future...and how much of it is only for those trying to get in with big corporate law firms. 

I also see a lot of doom and gloom predicted about too many lawyers on the job market...but as I really intend to do law for the specific purpose of not being forever looking a job but instead making my own...and since the fields i am interested in have an endless supply of clients (immigration and family law)...I am really feeling like a lot of what i am reading just does not apply to me.