Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where is my Michelle Obama? Introduce yourself to BLSD  (Read 3499 times)

jsimp

• View Profile
    • Email
Where is my Michelle Obama? Introduce yourself to BLSD
« on: October 26, 2009, 12:35:33 PM »
I decided to start the  Introduce yourself to BLSD trend again because the old one hasn't had a post since 2007.

Hi, my name is Johnny. I'm a 4th year at UGA, Go Dawgs, who will be applying to law school in next fall. AA male, yes I said it, AA Male, who wants to go to law school.I've noticed that the BLS Discussion Board tends to be inactive, but maybe by introducing ourselves things will pick up. Trying to stay in Georgia for law school but considering Howard. Started UG aspiring to go into Investment Banking, but after the recession hit I did a little soul searching and decided to go to law school.

Isis

• Divinely Inspired & Victoriously Anointed!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Where is my Michelle Obama? Introduce yourself to BLSD
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 01:10:21 AM »
I decided to start the  Introduce yourself to BLSD trend again because the old one hasn't had a post since 2007.

Hi, my name is Johnny. I'm a 4th year at UGA, Go Dawgs, who will be applying to law school in next fall. AA male, yes I said it, AA Male, who wants to go to law school.I've noticed that the BLS Discussion Board tends to be inactive, but maybe by introducing ourselves things will pick up. Trying to stay in Georgia for law school but considering Howard. Started UG aspiring to go into Investment Banking, but after the recession hit I did a little soul searching and decided to go to law school.

Interesting...are you trying to do big law? I'm a graduate student in Florida working towards my Master of Public Administration. I graduate May 2010. I'm still debating law school, but I usually browse this site for interesting info. There hasn't been too much as of late but even the older information is good stuff. AA female, FAMU Alum.

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 08:08:34 AM »
Hi, I'm an old head. I've been here since 2005. Back then, BLSD was lively and engaging. In fact, I met a lot of my classmates on this website before I even started law school. Perhaps one day it'll pick back up, but until then, I guess it is just us. :)
YLS c/o 2009

Sheshe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 09:10:29 AM »
Hi I'm Sheila. I'm a senior at UNC Charlotte.  I'll be applying for law school next fall also.  Like you I actually planned on going into investment banking, but because of the poor economy I also decided that law school might be the best bet to wait it out.  I honestly have always had a desire to practice law.  I suppose I was just a little turned off by the very idea of law school at first, but now I can't wait to get UG over with so I can get there.

And oh yeah I did this quiz on facebook last night that said I was most like Michelle Obama....LOL!
A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine.

~Thomas Jefferson~

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 11:05:27 AM »
Yeah I noticed I made a thread here and it got 24 views and 0 responses...

I am also applying to law school next fall.  I wanted to do it this fall but moved suddenly.  The timing's not right now and I don't want to rush it because I need a LSAT score high enough to get a full scholarship somewhere.  And plus applying next fall then works out cause by the time I start school the following fall, my daughter will be school-age and I will be alright as far as the expense of fulltime childcare.

FAMU grad.

Dream constantly of going solo right out of law school...I actually read now on solosez and other sites how others are doing it...the books I need to read...the marketing opps i need to consider...because my interests are immigration and family law (and I have done immigration paperwork already and have represented myself time and again in family court because I couldn't afford a lawyer), and fixing the ignorance of many accused of crimes who don't seem to know their rights.  I had a friend who took a felony plea bargain and thought his probation/community service would take care of it.  I nearly fell on the floor in shock "you can't just TAKE a felony charge, it's a FELONY you have to FIGHT that!"  He just didn't know.  It makes me angry.  So many guys are walking around with records cause they don't know what they can and can't do.  I am not sure I want to be in criminal defense, but maybe some legal aid work and maybe outreach/awareness programs...esp. for black men, who seem to get into hot water more than everybody else.

And I am often called Michelle Obama. lol

jsimp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 03:08:09 PM »
Isis- I'm think I want to get some experience in Big Law but not stay in it to long.

I have so many different areas of law that attracts me that I think I will end up trying to pursue public office. The opportunity to promote change and inspire other minority guys is what really motivates me to pursue law.

I know all to well about how black men fall into the system because they aren't aware of all the options that they have. I have a uncle who has recently been arrested for the death of his own baby even though the child was with its mother who lived 2 hours away. Crazyness...I'm not sure if criminal defense if right for me but legalized I feel you about the outreach/awareness programs.

Its nice to meet you all. Where is everybody applying to for law school?

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 10:48:27 PM »
Hi, I'm an old head. I've been here since 2005. Back then, BLSD was lively and engaging. In fact, I met a lot of my classmates on this website before I even started law school. Perhaps one day it'll pick back up, but until then, I guess it is just us. :)

@ bolded: doubtful, but perhaps.

Another old head.  I just looked at my profile, and evidently I joined in 2004...lurked before that...read the Princeton Review (circa 2002...yeah, I'm that old...you people probably have no idea what I'm talking about) and XO boards before that.  Went to Yale, did a COA clerkship, now working in BIGLAW.

dbbd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 02:34:19 AM »
Hi All, I'm a newbie who has mainly lurked these past few months as I have sought more knowledge about the law school process. 

I am applying this fall and hoping to land at a decent school with some $$$ (sites set on Howard, NCCU, or a regional in Florida).  I'm not interested in BigLaw, just want to be an attorney and open my own solo some day.

I'm glad to have stumbled across this site though, and I'm proud so many of "us" are doing big things : )

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 11:40:02 AM »
Isis- I'm think I want to get some experience in Big Law but not stay in it to long.

I have so many different areas of law that attracts me that I think I will end up trying to pursue public office. The opportunity to promote change and inspire other minority guys is what really motivates me to pursue law.

I know all to well about how black men fall into the system because they aren't aware of all the options that they have. I have a uncle who has recently been arrested for the death of his own baby even though the child was with its mother who lived 2 hours away. Crazyness...I'm not sure if criminal defense if right for me but legalized I feel you about the outreach/awareness programs.

Its nice to meet you all. Where is everybody applying to for law school?

ouch. good luck to him. what's his status now?

jazzyslim

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 05:56:29 PM »
Hello everyone!

I'm a newbie in a sense that this is my first official posting. I am currently a 1L at Vermont Law School (I know ya'll like, Vermont? Yea me too lol) I went to Spelman and although I was studying along the lines of health science/public health, I always had a desire to attend law school. My law interests are corporate, public interest, international, and health law. I know I'm all over the place! But I feel like I want to definitely focus my time, attention, and resources to utilizing my law degree to help minorities and marginalized individuals. That is my ultimate goal b/c i do not know what opportunities may be thrown my way in the next coming years, and I am definitely making that an integral part of my life, whether its pro bono in a law firm, working at a non-profit, or offering free legal services on my own twice a month to those classes of people.

I was always checkin the boards last yr as I was applying to law achool. I never posted anything b/c i found that most of my questions were answered by doing a quick search. I guess I will be actually part-take in discussions on these boards now since I feel like the sense of community is returning.

And for all those who are applying to law school this cycle, I want to offer my words of encouragement and best of luck! And for the record, law school aint bad at all! Its definitely doable once you get a firm foundation in ur doctrinal courses.