Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Really no jobs for T14 grads?  (Read 5304 times)

treefity350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Really no jobs for T14 grads?
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2009, 03:04:09 AM »
The truth is that this year there were many fewer 2L hires (in terms of top-of-the-market private firms), and things will probably only be marginally better for the class of 2012. But if you're not yet in law school, I wouldn't worry too much about finding a top of the market job if you gain acceptance to a top program (although I would suggest that the 160 standard - rather than the 145 many firms are going to now - will probably take at least 5 years to return in full). The market will pick up. If you entered law school next Fall, you'd probably still face some slowness in the job market when it comes to 2L hiring, but I think (and hope) its safe to say that the Classes of 2010-12 will probably see the worst of the downturn.
Remember when I was at the picnic - the company picnic - and I hit the ball over the fence? You guys didn't think I'd catch it too but I did. I'm fast as s**t - 17 stolen bases in '72, 18 in '91.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2009, 10:04:56 AM »
So unlike most people on here, I'm actually in law school and see what's going on with my classmates/recent graduates. 

Actually, almost every single poster in this thread besides the OP is in law school.

If you are fine with making 80k in the government or 50k in public interest, no worries.

Perhaps you have a lucky group of friends, but I've heard of very few people making 50k in public interest. And what govt program starts at 80k? The feds only start in the high 60s. Even with an llm, you are going to start at GS12 - which is about 75k.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2009, 10:31:24 AM »
The truth is that this year there were many fewer 2L hires (in terms of top-of-the-market private firms), and things will probably only be marginally better for the class of 2012. But if you're not yet in law school, I wouldn't worry too much about finding a top of the market job if you gain acceptance to a top program (although I would suggest that the 160 standard - rather than the 145 many firms are going to now - will probably take at least 5 years to return in full). The market will pick up. If you entered law school next Fall, you'd probably still face some slowness in the job market when it comes to 2L hiring, but I think (and hope) its safe to say that the Classes of 2010-12 will probably see the worst of the downturn.

There will still be a large inventory of unemployed JDs/Attorneys (class of 2007-2012 and laid off attorneys) in the year 2013 and beyond.   :o

Imagine car companies continue to make the same number of cars, but for 5 years or so, very few consumers actually buy cars.  When a healthy number of consumers are ready to buy cars again, can you imagine how many cars are in the market already ready to be sold.

treefity350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2009, 12:29:40 PM »

There will still be a large inventory of unemployed JDs/Attorneys (class of 2007-2012 and laid off attorneys) in the year 2013 and beyond.   :o

Imagine car companies continue to make the same number of cars, but for 5 years or so, very few consumers actually buy cars.  When a healthy number of consumers are ready to buy cars again, can you imagine how many cars are in the market already ready to be sold.

Right, but consumers buying the nicest cars don't buy the models from three or four years ago that have been sitting on the lot unused. Instead they buy the cars made that year--and the manufacturer takes a loss for those years that the market was in turmoil.
Remember when I was at the picnic - the company picnic - and I hit the ball over the fence? You guys didn't think I'd catch it too but I did. I'm fast as s**t - 17 stolen bases in '72, 18 in '91.

JDat45

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2009, 09:47:33 PM »

Right, but consumers buying the nicest cars don't buy the models from three or four years ago that have been sitting on the lot unused. Instead they buy the cars made that year--and the manufacturer takes a loss for those years that the market was in turmoil.

:o :o :o

InheritTheWind

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 01:06:45 PM »

You can't really apply that analogy to legal job markets. Many of the jobless that have been out of school for several years don't just sit there doing nothing like unsold cars. They lower their standards and gain experience in jobs that traditionally may have not been too sought-after and hence, you can't really say that the fresh graduates would be more competitive candidates for hire.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2009, 02:19:09 PM »

You can't really apply that analogy to legal job markets. Many of the jobless that have been out of school for several years don't just sit there doing nothing like unsold cars. They lower their standards and gain experience in jobs that traditionally may have not been too sought-after and hence, you can't really say that the fresh graduates would be more competitive candidates for hire.

The truth of the matter is that most of these graduates that can't get a laweyer job are doing nothing significant or law related.  Employers looking for a entry level attorney would most likely hire a 2014 graduate than 2010 graduate, unless the 2010 graduate is exceptional in some aspects. 

JS678

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2009, 12:52:24 PM »
Bump.  I got into a T10 school and am wondering if I should go.  It's only worth it to me if I have a realistic shot at a big law position.

It's scary that by 2013 there will be competition between the members of that class and everyone else from previous classes.  Are there other things you can do with a T14 degree that pay well? 

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2009, 10:45:53 PM »
Bump.  I got into a T10 school and am wondering if I should go.  It's only worth it to me if I have a realistic shot at a big law position.

It's scary that by 2013 there will be competition between the members of that class and everyone else from previous classes.  Are there other things you can do with a T14 degree that pay well? 

You'll be fine because of the two following reasons:

1) You will graduate 3 to 4 years down the road; and

2) You won't be just Joe Nobody from State University Number 29, but you will be from a top 10 law school.

JS678

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2009, 11:43:15 PM »

You'll be fine because of the two following reasons:

1) You will graduate 3 to 4 years down the road; and

2) You won't be just Joe Nobody from State University Number 29, but you will be from a top 10 law school.

As far as #1 goes, people assume that the economy is certain to get better the way the seasons change.  I believe poor policy decisions are causing a permanent US decline. 

What percentage of Michigan students are still getting $100K jobs?  What's the bear minimum somebody whose main concern is money can expect to make upon finishing from a school like that in the current climate?