Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: St Mary's School of Law  (Read 9958 times)

Farfan1

• View Profile
    • Email
St Mary's School of Law
« on: October 24, 2009, 01:14:50 PM »
Any one have any thoughts on St. Marys?  Good school?  I would go there for free...if it makes a difference.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: St Mary's School of Law
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 07:04:08 PM »
See this thread:
http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,4021750.0.html

In general, it's not terribly well regarded. However, I suppose free could be worth it depending on the alternatives.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 10:21:19 PM »
See this thread:
http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,4021750.0.html

In general, it's not terribly well regarded. However, I suppose free could be worth it depending on the alternatives.

If you get into UH, even at full price, go there. 

mccarthy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 11:40:49 PM »
I have a friend who is a 2L at St. Mary's. He seems to like it but I've not asked him about job prospects or anything like that. He has told me that the curve is pretty brutal, so if you want good grades it might be easier to get them elsewhere. Plus, if you are getting St Mary's with $, you might also get Texas tech or south texas.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 02:03:50 AM »
Attending a non-top law school might not be a great idea these days.  Check out this:

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,4020478.0.html

snowden

• View Profile
STOP- DO NOT go to St. Mary's
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 02:51:37 PM »
Here is another forum discussion about St. Mary's with mostly negative reviews.  http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=56

As a former student, I can tell you first hand it is not a well-respected school, which in this economy does not guarantee you anything but loans with no way to repay them upon graduation.  Law firm recruiters need to lighten up and hire St. Mary's grads.  I say if you pass the Bar, you pass the Bar, and that should be the number one factor in hiring people.  Don't go to St. Mary's expecting an offer from Fulbright & Jaworski down the road.  I wish first year grades didn't matter so much.

Do a google search for the different variations of the school's name (St'Mary's law San Antonio / St. Mary's University School of Law....) and look for lawsuits and problems reported by former students and faculty.  The administration is terrible and ruining the school.  This used to be a very good school, but internal problems have been the reason for its decline.  Faculty a a whole is ok, not bad but not top-notch.  A lot of the students are great, and I feel sorry for us that our school has set us up for failure.  Find a school with similar admissions criteria and go there, even if it is out of state.  St. Mary's is in a crappy area and is way over priced.  For $30k/yr plus living expenses you should be proud of where you went to school and have a good chance for a GOOD job waiting for you upon graduation.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 02:10:06 PM »
   I say if you pass the Bar, you pass the Bar, and that should be the number one factor in hiring people.

The problem is that there are WAY too many people who have passed the bar to make that the criteria.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 12:57:21 AM »
Go to Houston or Texas Tech instead, if possible. Even if you have to pay sticker, they'd be much better choices.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 10:50:46 AM »
Go to Houston or Texas Tech instead, if possible. Even if you have to pay sticker, they'd be much better choices.

Why are you so knowledgeable about Texas?  Do you want to end up in a Texas City?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 02:52:47 AM »

Why are you so knowledgeable about Texas?  Do you want to end up in a Texas City?

I've visited it a few times, have always liked it, and looked into it a good deal when applying to schools.

I'd prefer to stay in Florida, but I'd be happy if I ended up in Texas.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.