Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Flaw problem  (Read 1074 times)

sizzledizzle

• View Profile
Flaw problem
« on: October 23, 2009, 01:10:13 PM »
Thanks to whoever answers this, but I chose the incorrect answer B. A was the correct choice, but why? What is the diff between the 2 answers I thought B was totally right?

Many people change their wills on their own every few years, in response to significant changes in their personal or financial circumstances. This practice can create a problem for the executor when these people are careless and do not date their wills: the executor will then often know neither which one of several undated wills is the most recent, nor whether the will drawn up last has ever been found. Therefore, people should not only date their wills but also state in any new will which will it supercedes for then there would not be a problem to begin with.

Flaw question answer choices

A)Treats a partial solution to the stated problem as though it were a complete solution

B)Fails to distinguish between prevention of a problem and successful containment of the adverse effects that the problem might cause

Pepperdine2010

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Flaw problem
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 09:00:10 PM »
Hi there :),

I'm not sure how good I'll be at this, but I'll give it a try. I hope my response is of some help.

First, if you can, review the Flaw Reasoning chapter in the Power Score LR book. That chapter discusses the 17 different types of flaw questions and will help you learn how to identify right from wrong answers.

Second, break down the stimulus into premise(s) and conclusion. If you do this, you will see the "gap" between the first premise and second premise and the conclusion. The "gap" being that, "people are careless and do not date their wills...". This is a "gap" because the author does not connect the first premise to the second or the conclusion. S/he first discusses how people change their wills according to changes in their personal lives or financial situations then throws in, "people are careless and do not date their wills...".

Third, the flaw in this stimulus is that the author treats the "gap" as the only possible problem that can occur, when the reality is that several problems (i.e. the will does not address all possessions of the owner) can occur.

Fourth, since the author assumes that the "gap" is the only problem that can occur, s/he addresses that problem with only one solution which might not solve the problem (another solution might solve the problem but since the author does not address any further solutions, s/he is treating the solution s/he provided as the only or complete solution). Again, this is incorrect because other solutions exist, yet the author fails to acknowledge this. So answer A is correct.

River

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 02:37:45 PM »
Many people change their wills in response to significant changes in their personal or financial circumstances.---- P1

This practice can create a problem for the executor when these people are careless and do not date their wills: the executor will then often know neither which one of several undated wills is the most recent, nor whether the will drawn up last has ever been found.----p2

Therefore, people should not only date their wills but also state in any new will which will it supercedes for then there would not be a problem to begin with.---Con

P1--personal/ financial circums in changes
P2---problems(careless and undated) are needed to be added to P1 
C: it is incomplete without touching P1

A)Treats a partial solution to the stated problem as though it were a complete solution

B)Fails to distinguish between prevention of a problem and successful containment of the adverse effects that the problem might cause: No; we need a complete solution.

Cambridge LSAT

• View Profile
    • Cambridge LSAT
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 02:34:38 AM »
The proposed solution deals with the issue of knowing which of the available wills is the most recent.  However, does it change the fact that the executor won't know if the will with the most recent date among the discovered wills is in fact the most recent will? No.  As mentioned in the stimulus, the will with the most recent date might not have been discovered.