Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What to do in 1-2 years before law school  (Read 880 times)

Tangueray

• View Profile
What to do in 1-2 years before law school
« on: October 23, 2009, 01:30:32 AM »
Hey guys,

First time poster here.  I'm a graduating senior this year at Michigan, looking for some advice on how I should spend the next few years of my life before law school.  Basically, I've already taken the LSAT, and know I want to be a lawyer, but right now I just don't think I'm ready to jump directly into law school and want to see the world a little bit.  I've thought about doing some teaching programs in America and abroad and I'm currently contemplating it. 

Are there any other programs/jobs/cool things that you guys have heard people doing before they came to law school? 

Or maybe something you wished you had done?

And if you could refrain from telling me to do "what I'm interested in," I'd appreciate it, that seems to be the only thing that pre-law advisors tell me to do...

Thanks everyone

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
Re: What to do in 1-2 years before law school
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 07:19:17 AM »
Make money and get the travel bug out of your system are the best things you can do, imho
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 07:25:48 AM »
Make money and get the travel bug out of your system are the best things you can do, imho

Pretty much this.   Enjoy life.

And please, PLEASE spend some time really evaluating why you want to be a lawyer.  Do some research on the job market, etc.  and make sure you're doing this for the right reasons.

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 06:26:49 PM »
I totally agree with the last 2 people, and if you get the chance learn how to write in IRAC style. It will help you for exams later.

But take your time. Enjoy life. Go do stuff- don't get arrested. Oh, and pay off any credit card debt now.
UMiami c/o 2010