Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Visiting/Non-Matriculating Law Student  (Read 833 times)

I am the Lorax

• View Profile
Visiting/Non-Matriculating Law Student
« on: October 22, 2009, 08:40:21 PM »
Does anyone know if it's any more or less difficult to be accepted as a visiting 3L than it is to transfer as a 2L?  Do the same GPA/ranking requirements apply?  I go to a T20 right now and am planning to move out of state next year for family reasons and I am hoping to attend the local T20 in the new state.

armyjag

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Visiting/Non-Matriculating Law Student
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 10:30:19 PM »
It's not comparable.  The new school doesn't add you for anyone's stats, so you're just a cashcow to them.
Make sure your current school is cool with it.  I've heard, anecdotally, of more than one T20 that doens't like letting students visit, probably, again, for cash reasons.

I'd highly recommend it.  I know a couple of people who visited and loved the change of scenary. 
Proving there is redemption in this world...

I am the Lorax

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 11:23:05 PM »
My school already gave the thumbs up so I'm just worried about the other end. Thanks!

armyjag

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 12:47:23 PM »
I'd just apply quickly and stay on top of them if it starts getting late.  Can you even apply at this point in the year?
Proving there is redemption in this world...

I am the Lorax

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 01:06:32 PM »
No; my school doesn't even formally approve requests until February.  They've told me unofficially they'd support it.  I just wanted to know whether I should start to get my hopes up before I do start the process; I'd apply anyway but thought it couldn't hurt to get some perspective on it.  Thanks!