Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Should I choose topic 1,  topic 2, or choose a totally new topic?

Topic 1
 1 (100%)
Topic 2
 0 (0%)
Totally New Topic
 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: October 27, 2009, 05:07:19 PM

Author Topic: Please help me with choosing a topic.  (Read 747 times)

nycparalegal

• View Profile
Please help me with choosing a topic.
« on: October 22, 2009, 04:51:49 PM »
So, I'm probably going to write and see where the two topics I have in mind take me tonight.  I've been thinking of my topic for the past two weeks and I'm having a hard time coming up with something original and interesting.

I think I can do a pretty decent job with the following topics:

1. For the past three years, I've been living in one of the roughest neighborhoods in NYC trying to do community organizing at the local level during my free time from work.  This will be dramatic - gunshots and drug dealers. 

2. I am a first generation college graduate and so I wanted to talk about my frustration when I graduated from a okay public school with only a 3.0 and no internships.  This is really what changed me - for the better, I hope.  I learned a lot from this experience - working two jobs, being humiliated in front of my parents, both of them refugees with barely any education.  My mother didn't go to school and my father has the equivalent of an elementary education but I was working and making the same amount of money as they were only I had a college degree with 50,000 in debt.

I'm not sure about the originality of the two topics.

What does everyone think?

Lekowitz

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Please help me with choosing a topic.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 12:22:30 PM »
It's hard to say, it sounds like you could write a good PS with either one. I would suggest picking the one that will give you a lot of concrete examples of lessons, skills, etc. that you have learned and will make you a successful law student/lawyer; write about something that can't be captured in your resume/transcript. Hope that helps a lil.