Law School Discussion

To retake or not to retake...That is the question

To retake or not to retake...That is the question
« on: October 22, 2009, 11:36:07 AM »
3.9/163

Signed up for the September LSAT back in August, never got a chance to study until the week of.  Got a good 163, though I probally culd do better if I took a class and retoke.  Do you think its worth it.

Not sure where I want to go (though I have a crush on Georgetown, but I want to be competive at a good school in close to anywhere the missus goes to med school. 

Thanks
B

Re: To retake or not to retake...That is the question
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 03:55:51 PM »
I would retake.
That GPA is too good to let it get pulled down by your current lsat score.

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 12:58:38 AM »
Wow that is a totally poorly written message.  Sorry for all the typos, wrote it in class while taking notes and thought I was a much better typist than apparently I am. Proofreading for the win.

Jeffort

• LSAT Tutor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 03:44:15 PM »
Wow, achieving a 163 having only prepped for less than one week is impressive.  It demonstrates that you already have a good 'natural' grasp of the types of logic, reasoning and reading skills that the LSAT measures.  It's pretty rare for people to score that high first time with little or no prep.

Given your high 'didn't really prep score', with some serious prep time you should be able to score even higher if you re-take and perhaps achieve a score in the 98th or 99th percentile range (170 or above).  That type of a score along with a 3.9 GPA would certainly put you in the range and make you a competitive applicant to pretty much any Law School.

Since you indicated that your preferred LS's depends on where your significant other (SO) gets accepted to and decides to attend medical school, it would be excellent to have a nice 170+ LSAT along with your 3.9 GPA in order to keep all options open. 

Any idea about the likely areas your SO will end up attending medical school?  Since you are following her wherever in the country to be with her (great combination BTW, a doctor and a lawyer as a couple, I love it!  You two could be a dangerous duo with both degrees!) you should research the GPA/LSAT admission index ranges of good LS's in the areas your SO might attend medical school.  That way you can figure out a list of the LS's you need to be a competitive applicant at. 

If it turns out that a 3.9/163 makes you a very strong applicant at all the LS's near all the possible places she may attend MS there would little point in re-taking the LSAT.  However, that scenario is unlikely.

I suggest you do some research about the factors I mentioned and use that as your guide and basis for your decision.  If you do re-take the LSAT, in order to significantly increase your score you MUST dedicate a LOT of time to doing quality preparation/studying/practicing/reviewing/etc., otherwise, without significant prep time, you would likely score close to the same as you did the first time and the re-take would end up being pointless.

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 04:44:26 PM »
jeffort...

you're back?

Jeffort

• LSAT Tutor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 04:50:29 PM »
jeffort...

you're back?

uhhm, Yeah.  Otherwise this must be the ghost of Jeffort past typing and it took the LSD server over a year for this post to go through!  :D

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 06:42:37 AM »
jeffort...

you're back?

uhhm, Yeah.  Otherwise this must be the ghost of Jeffort past typing and it took the LSD server over a year for this post to go through!  :D

So did the test-prep company fire you and pull the plug?   Or did they just wipe out their server and call a sudden halt to everything, like you did when you shut down your website?   Most important, why should anyone pay any attention to you here when you've already proven yourself to be a big crybaby who deletes all his posts and runs away when he feels like it?

In other words, GO BACK TO THE HOLE FROM WHICH YOU CRAWLED.  WE'VE DONE MARVELOUSLY WITHOUT YOU.  EARLCAT IS THE VERY BEST.

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 07:40:02 AM »
in any case, i don't think i got the chance to thank you for all the help with the LSAT study group.  i wouldn't be here at this school without the motivation you guys provided. 

EarlCat

• i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 06:52:55 PM »
So did the test-prep company fire you and pull the plug?   Or did they just wipe out their server and call a sudden halt to everything, like you did when you shut down your website?   Most important, why should anyone pay any attention to you here when you've already proven yourself to be a big crybaby who deletes all his posts and runs away when he feels like it?

In other words, GO BACK TO THE HOLE FROM WHICH YOU CRAWLED.  WE'VE DONE MARVELOUSLY WITHOUT YOU.  EARLCAT IS THE VERY BEST.

Dude, wtf?  Jeffort's one of the most valuable posters the LSAT forum has ever had.

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 07:46:52 AM »
TITMFCR