Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Reality Check - 150 LSAT & 3.07 LSAC GPA  (Read 2380 times)

Schu24

• View Profile
Reality Check - 150 LSAT & 3.07 LSAC GPA
« on: October 22, 2009, 12:47:04 PM »
Hello All ~

I am new to this discussion group.  I was wondering if I could get some feedback on my situation.  I am a non-traditional student, age 37 with an LSAT score of 144 (1st time) and 150 (2nd time).  LSAC gave me a GPA of 3.07 and I will need to write addendums to highlight that my "party" community college days are not representative of my abilities.  Finally went to a four year and graduated with a 3.72 (University of Dayton).  Professionally, my resume is very strong with mostly non-profit experience at the Director or Executive Director level and am currently a VP in a for profit company (technology).

I am interested in Human Rights or Public Interest Law.

I am looking at some of the following schools:
Santa Clara
USF
Southwestern Law School
University of Hawaii
Golden Gate University

Would love to hear back as to what folks think my chances are, whether schools seriously consider the addendums and personal statements or will they look at the LSAT/GPA numbers and never get to the addendums, etc.

Thanks so much for your time and perspectives.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: Reality Check - 150 LSAT & 3.07 LSAC GPA
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 01:03:30 PM »
You have a reasonably high chance of getting into at least Golden Gate.

A different type of reality check than perhaps the one you are looking for:

It sounds like you are very successful in your current career. Please understand that your job prospects coming out of a school like that will be significantly worse than what you are doing now. Your chances of doing human rights law would be something like 1 in 1,000 unless you have financial support such that you could afford to do it on an exclusively pro-bono basis. Public interest is an extremely broad category. However, paid public interest can be extremely competitive- even at salaries below what you could reasonably repay student loans on. Most graduates of schools at this level will end up doing criminal law, family law, or personal injury. Median starting salaries are realistically 30k a year.

It could be that you hate your job with a passion and want to be a lawyer above all else. In that case, go ahead and go. If you are an excellent networker and work extremely hard, it's likely you will end up successful. However, more likely than not you are looking at a 10 year vow of poverty with a less than 50/50 chance of doing what you actually want to do.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Schu24

• View Profile
Re: Reality Check - 150 LSAT & 3.07 LSAC GPA
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 11:42:56 AM »
Dear Nealric ~

I appreciate your response and so quick.  Thank you for offering insights into other areas for me to consider.  Actually, I don't particularly enjoy the job I am in now and law school or not would most likely make a change back to non-profit work.  That said, I am interested in various ways in which a law degree would assist in the area of non-profit work as I have encountered a number of attorneys who are no longer practicing per se but are using the degree in other settings (legislative advocacy, non-profit work, etc.). 

Not sure all of that is worth $1,000+ loan payments per month, so I need to be smart and I appreciate your views on the vow of poverty.  I think at the end of the day, I will make the degree the best I can at no matter what school and will find the level of success I am looking for. 

I appreciate again, your insights and any more you may have on attorneys who you know who may be utilizing their JD in a multitude of ways.

Cheers.