Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is Prep a Rip Off?  (Read 2487 times)

mytwocents

• View Profile
Re: Is Prep a Rip Off?
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 11:16:17 PM »
Can't you people who need the class in order to be motivated be motivated by the thought of being able to save 1K studying alone?   :D

I don't get people. 

I'm just speaking for myself on this, but I'm sure some others can relate.  It's not so much that, "I'm not motivated at all to study for this test.  I need a class to help me do it.", but more so that once I started gaining a better understanding of the material on the LSAT (via my prep class) I was that much MORE motivated to study.  I was decently self-disciplined and motivated before, but my studying was far less effective because I had trouble understanding what I was doing wrong and how I should fix it.  Once I got better at the test and could see the improvement in my score, I was much more motivated to study than I was before my prep class.

HR6352

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 12:03:21 AM »
That makes more sense. 

Doodsmack

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 08:45:15 PM »
I personally improved 24 points from first PT to test day taking a Kaplan class, and do not think I could have done so studying on my own. It's not just the motivational factor that most people cite in support of classes - it's the value of having an instructor. It's the same reason, I think, that going to a school is superior to homeschooling. Having the feedback of others, and especially of an experienced instructor, will always trump going it alone.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 10:14:01 PM »
It's not just the motivational factor that most people cite in support of classes - it's the value of having an instructor. It's the same reason, I think, that going to a school is superior to homeschooling. Having the feedback of others, and especially of an experienced instructor, will always trump going it alone.

QFT

HR6352

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 03:21:58 PM »
I personally improved 24 points from first PT to test day taking a Kaplan class, and do not think I could have done so studying on my own. It's not just the motivational factor that most people cite in support of classes - it's the value of having an instructor. It's the same reason, I think, that going to a school is superior to homeschooling. Having the feedback of others, and especially of an experienced instructor, will always trump going it alone.

Don't say always.  Often being around others is a hindrance, especially if you're way above or below the average. 

American schools are too politically correct to separate students by ability as they should. 

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2009, 04:00:29 PM »
Don't say always.  Often being around others is a hindrance, especially if you're way above or below the average. 

American schools are too politically correct to separate students by ability as they should. 

Prep companies often separate students by diagnostic score, although FWIW I've gotten better results in mixed classes.