Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can a Chicago Grad find Employment in DC  (Read 649 times)

HR6352

• View Profile
Can a Chicago Grad find Employment in DC
« on: October 21, 2009, 07:44:19 PM »
How important is location when applying for the top 14?  I'm 171 LSAT/3.6 GPA.  I want to apply early decision to Chicago because I live there.  But then again I want to live in DC after I graduate.  Should I absorb the cost and go to Virginia or Duke instead of Chicago or with a school like UC will I be able to find a good job anywhere?

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Can a Chicago Grad find Employment in DC
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 08:08:24 PM »
DC is a very elitist job market. A JD from UChicago will do well there, probably better than UVA or Duke all else being equal. Whether or not you get a "good job" (assuming "good job" means biglaw or competitive job in the public sector) out of any school is pretty much a coin toss due to the economy. Unless things really improve a lot, there are no guarantees anywhere.

seatochitown

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 03:13:25 PM »
No guarantees in this economic climate, but plenty of UofC students go to DC every year. Certain prestigious DC firms recruit at Chicago but not Duke or Virginia; in addition, there's no pre-screening at Chicago OCI (there is at Virginia and I assume at Duke), so you'll be able to interview with most every DC firm that comes to campus.

Wherever you go, get good grades. DC firms are very grade-conscious.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 08:57:05 PM »
I believe UVA is the only t14 with prescreening. Agree that grades are very important for the DC market, regardless of what school you go to.