Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 162/3.2 gpa realistic chances  (Read 4147 times)

eggo

• View Profile
162/3.2 gpa realistic chances
« on: October 21, 2009, 12:24:49 AM »
my current lsat score is 162 and my gpa is in the 3.2, 3.3 range. i was wondering just how competitive that is? im pretty sure im out of the running for the T14 schools. but how about somewhere like fordham? (my actual target/slight reach)

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
Re: 162/3.2 gpa realistic chances
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 03:46:01 PM »
I think your target schools would be Tier 2 and lower Tier 1
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

spizzle5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 07:44:54 PM »
You have similar numbers to mine, and I would agree with blueskies' assessment. Most of the schools I'm applying to are lower Tier 1 and upper Tier 2. I'm a huge advocate of looking PAST the rankings, but i'm including them just to give you some perspective.

28. W&M
28. GW
30. Fordham
30. Washington and Lee (because the app is free)
35. Wisconsin-Madison
41. GMU (because they gave me a fee waiver)
43. Maryland
45. American
61. San Diego
65. Temple
71. Miami
85. Santa Clara

the top few are quite a reach, but i figure I might as well try. my list is also all over the place because I am open to a change of scenery and am not sure where i will practice. If you have an idea of where you want to practice law, you should tailor your list accordingly. Best of luck!

USC4Real

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 08:31:55 PM »
I think that you're luck to have reached the 162 mark, which has the potential to just put you into a stronger applicant pool at many schools. My advice though, as I have told others is to stay away from overly high-priced legal education (anything $38,000 or over in tuition). Especially after I read that NY Times article about interviewing and callbacks being cut in half at Harvard and NYU (even among the top students), I have come to the realization, that $200,000 of debt is not worth a law degree PERIOD.  In fact, now we can see that even Harvard students are not impervious to the job cuts going on in this economy. I, personally, much rather take my chances with a scholarship or at a public law school. Trust me, there are plenty of great public law schools out there which reasonable law school tuition and very competitive career prospects.

I think you'd have a good shot (or might as well give a try) at the following schools (that is, if regional location doesn't really matter):

+ William and Mary
+ George Mason
+ the UC's
+ Florida
+ Rutgers-Camden
+ Temple
+ North Carolina
+ Maryland
+ Wisconsin
+ Penn State

While some of these may be "reach" schools for you, my simple philosophy is that you'll never know if you don't try. BUT, these are all schools solidly placed in the top 100. You are getting more bang for your buck. Trust me, if you go with these, you'll be much better off and happier overall. Needless to say, you won't be sweating like crazy when those loan agencies finally want to collect. 

Hope that helps!

TexasColonel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 03:02:23 PM »
Spizzel5 and USC4Real list some good choices for you, the only thing that I would add is to write a great statement and try to boost you soft factors. It's important to stand out, if you're thinking of a school like Fordham. While you numbers are decent and definitely put you into range at some of these schools, unfortunately, there are a lot of others in your category. If you were part of the PeaceCorps, TeachAmerica, or you climbed Mount Fiji...make that evident in your app.

karismatic

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 07:47:56 PM »
I replied with this similar post to another person that is in a similar situation as yours.

With your LSAT I suggest going to a low T3 or even T4 school, that is assuming you get a stellar scholarship from one of those schools. Seeing as you won't be getting into a T14 school with your scores (unless you have remarkable soft factors) and considering the dire job market out there, your best bet is to save a lot of law school tuition (pocket the cash and not worry about 30-40K in debt for that year) and at the same time hedge your bet on whooping butt in your first year against those who obviously do not have the innate capacity to be outstanding students of the law.  I know a lot of people say that the LSAT doesn't predict anything, but I disagree with someone in your situation.  That is because there is such a wide disparity (10+ points) between your ability and their abilities, that chances are very high you'll do extremely well against them come finals time. Just my two cents.
FYI: I transferred up from a T3 to a high T2 (did pretty good) but my girl friend, who was on scholarship making her first year practically free- did so well she transferred up to NYU.  So for her it was like 10K of 1st year debt, 160K summer Associate job, NYU scholarship and degree.  She bragged that she did so well partly b/c of her much higher LSAT score against much lower scoring LSAT folks that made up like 90% of the class, lol.

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 08:30:52 PM »
With your LSAT I suggest going to a low T3 or even T4 school, that is assuming you get a stellar scholarship from one of those schools.

this is bad advice.  whether or not you keep your scholarship is almost completely up to chance as T3/4 schools almost always have conditional scholarship.  If you lose your scholarship, you'll be paying full price for a less than stellar school.  You're most likely  better off at a better school so long as it is highly respected in the region you want to work in, and with a 162 you have a good chance of getting a decent scholarship at a T2 school.
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

mccarthy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 10:56:01 PM »
I replied with this similar post to another person that is in a similar situation as yours.

With your LSAT I suggest going to a low T3 or even T4 school, that is assuming you get a stellar scholarship from one of those schools. Seeing as you won't be getting into a T14 school with your scores (unless you have remarkable soft factors) and considering the dire job market out there, your best bet is to save a lot of law school tuition (pocket the cash and not worry about 30-40K in debt for that year) and at the same time hedge your bet on whooping butt in your first year against those who obviously do not have the innate capacity to be outstanding students of the law.  I know a lot of people say that the LSAT doesn't predict anything, but I disagree with someone in your situation.  That is because there is such a wide disparity (10+ points) between your ability and their abilities, that chances are very high you'll do extremely well against them come finals time. Just my two cents.
FYI: I transferred up from a T3 to a high T2 (did pretty good) but my girl friend, who was on scholarship making her first year practically free- did so well she transferred up to NYU.  So for her it was like 10K of 1st year debt, 160K summer Associate job, NYU scholarship and degree.  She bragged that she did so well partly b/c of her much higher LSAT score against much lower scoring LSAT folks that made up like 90% of the class, lol.

Are you just cutting-and-pasting these remarks? Im pretty sure I saw these words verbatim in response to another post...not unethical or anything but kind of cheesy. Also, your advice sucks.