Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: New Comer Help!!  (Read 2304 times)

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: New Comer Help!!
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 09:48:20 PM »
What are the odds of me going in the testing center this December and blowing it out of the water after two months of studying 4 hours a day? Im talking 170 or higher

Depends on your appititude.  By definition only 1% score that, so it's not incredibly likely. 

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 10:05:08 PM »
What are the odds of me going in the testing center this December and blowing it out of the water after two months of studying 4 hours a day? Im talking 170 or higher

How can anyone answer this without even a current PrepTest score?

Also, don't bother with December.  It's too late in the cycle to apply with that GPA IMHO.  If you want your best admissions chances, plan to study for the next 7-10 months and take the June or September test, and have that application ready to hit the first day of ED at the best school in your numbers range.

lsatlsat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 02:50:51 AM »
I study everday for about 7 hours. Do i really need to sit out another year. That seems a little extreme. I think if after 300 hours of study if i can get the jist of it maybe its not worth it, how much better can i possible go.

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 08:44:57 AM »
I study everday for about 7 hours. Do i really need to sit out another year. That seems a little extreme. I think if after 300 hours of study if i can get the jist of it maybe its not worth it, how much better can i possible go.

Because of rolling admissions, applying Feb will severely disadvantage you opposed to being ready in early September.  That said, do whatever makes you happy.

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 11:47:20 AM »
Do i really need to sit out another year.

yes.

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2009, 11:59:10 AM »

why are you in such a rush?

Better late and well prepared then rush into it now and end up with a 2.3 performance on the LSAT.

The less applications for the following year the schools have seen before they see yours, the better your chances.

Do you realize most of these law school kids took majors like English and Art or simple things like that that easily give them 3.7 and 3.9 gpa's?

The only really acceptable gpa's below 3.0 are hard science, and engineering majors.

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 12:01:17 PM »

"gist" not "jist"...if you make mistakes like that on your personal statement, which also takes time to prepare just like the LSAT, you won't get in.  Slow and steady will win this, chill.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2009, 12:16:01 PM »
Because of rolling admissions, applying Feb will severely disadvantage you opposed to being ready in early September.

This can't be emphasized enough.

oceansmarine

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 01:11:00 PM »
First and Foremost, Your GPA will be leveraged by LSDAS.  To Qualify for law school, you require a 120 LSAT test score and a 1.0 GPA.   Your LSAT score will not relect on your ability to get through a law school cirriculum.  Law Schools must accept it as part of their admissions process as required by the Council but the schools are not required to review the score.   

You currently have a 59.2 percent chance of getting into law school in utilizing the (just) posted matrixs.  88K applied to the 200 ABA approved schools for the 2008-2009 year for the 49,341 seats available for incoming freshman.  I would be more worried about your finances.  How to pay and where to find employment during and after graduation.

The law schools need your money !!   That is your edge.  You will do fine.   Apply to the schools that will allow you to excel in law school.   Do not make the mistake as to the name.......   

lsatlsat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2009, 03:25:39 PM »
Ok i have been out of school for two years now. I am 26. I dont want to be in my 30s still trying to finish law school. I feel well i'm so behind. I am not trying to rush i guess i thought now is the time while i have more time to devote to studying...but now i see that the odds are stacked against me in regards to how the system works (when to apply based on my disadvantages).

The one thing that has held me back this long is the debt. I am so afraid of having that much debt in my life and what if no one hires me. I put those thoughts out of my head because if they stay i'll never go.

I thought it mattered big time where you went to school. I dont want to get in a below average school and have a harder time after i'm done or no one takes me serious.

I do want to further my education and this is the route i want to take. I will take your advice and not take the lsat this December, possibly February. I wish i knew all of this sooner, but that's what happens when you don't do your research. I take back the bad stuff i said about better late than never.