Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: New Comer Help!!  (Read 2319 times)

lsatkc2010

• View Profile
    • Email
New Comer Help!!
« on: October 20, 2009, 11:22:25 PM »
Hi,

I am studying the lsat that i will take in December. I am doing quite well on all te practice material so far.

I have a horrible background. I went to a mediocre school and my gpa was 2.3 or so.

DO i have a chance of getting into law school??? At least a decent one!!!!!

elle-y

• View Profile
Re: New Comer Help!!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 11:47:16 PM »
Is writing a problem for you? If so, you may want to reconsider.  :-\
3.1 / 156

lsatkc2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 12:27:06 AM »
I see a light in the attic...

Writing is one thing that I have always "thought" I was good at. I have had the highest accolades from professors, old employers, friends etc. I do LOVE writing. I hope that helps.

Lekowitz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 03:32:40 AM »
That's a tough GPA to overcome, but I think a good LSAT score, outstanding personal statement, and an addendum with a good reason for your poor GPA would give you a chance at a "decent" law school. Just a hunch though, I have no experience with admissions boards, yet.

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 11:37:53 AM »
Hi,

I am studying the lsat that i will take in December. I am doing quite well on all te practice material so far.

I have a horrible background. I went to a mediocre school and my gpa was 2.3 or so.

How did you get away with leaving your gpa so low?  I don't think my school lets anyone even graduate with less than a 2.5...i mean, why didn't you declare an easy double major and stay in school until it went up to at least a 3.0?

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 11:57:34 AM »
Hi,

Decent is so hard to define. 
What market do you want to practice in?  There are pretty good T3s all over the place that would accept you if you get a good LSAT score.   And if you rock the LSAT you might have a chance at some T2s.  So get your average practice test score and minus 5 off it, then pick a market you'd like to work in.   Find all the schools in that area and go on www.lawschoolnumbers.com and see if anyone with your numbers got accepted to any of the schools in the area you want to work.

You really have no reason to trust anyone on here, but I would just advise you to avoid going into massive debt to go to a "decent" school unless it's in the area you want to work.

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 01:07:00 PM »
That's a tough GPA to overcome, but I think a good LSAT score, outstanding personal statement, and an addendum with a good reason for your poor GPA would give you a chance at a "decent" law school. Just a hunch though, I have no experience with admissions boards, yet.

Addenda are viewed skeptically.  Finding a "good reason" for that GPA will be nearly impossible.  A high LSAT is the only recourse.

lsatkc2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 04:37:44 PM »
I had so much going on in my life, i just wanted to finish. I didnt take into account how greatly it would affect my life. I understand now but it seems im doomed. Better late than never is overrated.

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 09:00:00 PM »
I had so much going on in my life, i just wanted to finish. I didnt take into account how greatly it would affect my life. I understand now but it seems im doomed. Better late than never is overrated.

Again, I don't see the fact that you had so much going on mattering too much :)  If you didn't have so much going on, what can they assume your GPA would be?  It's easiest to write an addendum when you had 7 great semesters and one bad with a good excuse.  However, you can write away your whole UG career.

lsatkc2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 09:19:17 PM »
What are the odds of me going in the testing center this December and blowing it out of the water after two months of studying 4 hours a day? Im talking 170 or higher