Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: My chances?  (Read 1033 times)

smurphy0806

• View Profile
    • Email
My chances?
« on: October 20, 2009, 10:00:08 PM »
Hi all... I'm very new here. 

Ever since I was a kid I always dreamt of being a lawyer.  I never had the confidence to persue it, so I got an undergrad in Structural Engineering.  I know thats strange to say I was scared to pursue law school, but in highschool and college EVERYONE I knew always said how hard law school was.  Even friends/relatives who are lawyers said how hard it was, they just were not very supportive.

Recently I have thought I don't care how hard everyone says it is, I'm going to try.  I'm not stupid, by any means.  I was able to get a 3.1 from Marquette University in Structural Engineering. 

I am wondering how law schools look at an Engineering degree.  Do they forgive a slightly lower GPA if it is in engineering?  My boyfriend is in Med School with an undergrad in Engineering, and they do not forgive a lower GPA  as generally your reading/writing skills are weaker. 

I am required to stay in Chicago, and there are a lot of choices for me.  But if I get a late 160's score would I be competive at lots of Chicago schools? 

I graduated in 2007 and since then I have been working for a Structural Engineering company designing power plants.

I took the "practice test" on the LSAC webpage, and I got an approximate 172.  But I am not expecting to get that good of a score on test day due to nerves and such.

I'm in the process of ordering "the bibles" and more practice tests.  But if I get a high 160's with my GPA would I have a good chance of getting financial aid?  Thanks for the help! 

beakerboy

• View Profile
Re: My chances?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 12:37:58 AM »
I am wondering how law schools look at an Engineering degree.  Do they forgive a slightly lower GPA if it is in engineering?  My boyfriend is in Med School with an undergrad in Engineering, and they do not forgive a lower GPA  as generally your reading/writing skills are weaker. 

Like you, I'm an engineer.  Graduated 10 years ago and worked for those 10 years, and am back at school right now taking some courses.  I asked this same question to both the law advisor at my school and the recruiters that came to my school during career days.  All assured me that the schools do indeed look at undergrad program when considering the GPA, and that an engineering undergrad program is looked at very positively.

Though these were all Canadian schools so I don't know how applicable this is for wherever you are looking.