Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ALL INTERESTED IN GETTING ONLINE SCHOOLS ACCREDITED  (Read 3941 times)

Ladylaw2009

• View Profile
ALL INTERESTED IN GETTING ONLINE SCHOOLS ACCREDITED
« on: October 20, 2009, 09:18:18 PM »
Dear Students or Prospective Students

Why not start a petition that we can all sign and send to the ABA.  Based on the Argument by the Concord Student to the Mass Supreme Court we could perhaps unite and all sign a petition or some kind of brief (maybe Concord) would even support us that we are allowed to sit for the Bar just like any other student.  I compared Concord for example to other traditional schools and I believe their education is superior to many other schools, how many of you would like to particiate in this ?  Let me know, we can make it happen.

Law School Mavin

• View Profile
Re: ALL INTERESTED IN GETTING ONLINE SCHOOLS ACCREDITED
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 05:30:17 PM »
Your proposed petition might work for one online law school, namely the California School of Law. This School provides live, virtual, online classrooms, in which the faculty and students interact verbally with each other, in “real time,” just as if they were physically in the same room.

Apparently due to its use of live, interactive, “real time” classes and use of the Socratic Method, those students at the California School of Law who took the June 2009 “baby bar,” who had taken the school’s now-required pre-admission legal method course and who took the School’s recommended but non-mandatory review course designed to prepare students for the baby bar, had a 100 % passage rate. For a detailed statistical presentation and analysis of  baby bar results for students at the California School of Law, as well as the passage rates at other online law schools, go to Wikipedia: Distance Learning Law Schools. Go also to CaliforniaSchoolofLaw.com.

merde

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 12:53:15 AM »
Wow, damn impressive!!! :o :o

June 2009 First Year Law Students Exam
All Takers                                                       
Exam Date    Took    Passed    % Passed               
06/09              5          3                60%                       

First Timers
06/09            2            2             100% 

Repeaters
06/09            3            1              33%

Our 1 transfer student also passed, after taking the California School of Law’s FYLSE review class! In fact the CSL review class had an 80% pass rate when 4-5 passed the FYLSE.

Though our October 2008 results were not as impressive as on the June 2009 FYLSE, we still out performed the other online law schools.

October 2008 First Year Law Students Exam
All Takers                                                       
10/08               9         2              22%                       

First Timers
10/08              6           2                33%

Repeaters
10/08              3           0                0%

Ladylaw2009

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 08:51:30 AM »
With those types of results and so many prospective students that can benefit from the long distance learing how we are not doing anything about it?  I invite all those of you feel the same way to participate.

merde

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 02:37:51 PM »
With those types of results and so many prospective students that can benefit from the long distance learing how we are not doing anything about it?  I invite all those of you feel the same way to participate.

A 41% bar passage rate is worse than the worst TTTT garbage dumps.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 04:03:29 PM »

Why not start a petition that we can all sign and send to the ABA.  Based on the Argument by the Concord Student to the Mass Supreme Court we could perhaps unite and all sign a petition or some kind of brief (maybe Concord) would even support us that we are allowed to sit for the Bar just like any other student.  I compared Concord for example to other traditional schools and I believe their education is superior to many other schools, how many of you would like to particiate in this ?  Let me know, we can make it happen.

The ABA doesn't want you.  There are too many bad non-online law schools.  Being a lawyer is a huge responsibility and I'm sorry, online law schools don't cut it.

Ladylaw2009

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 04:55:27 PM »
Why not?  The rules and regulations of the ABA were written a very long time ago.  And I dont doubt that not all online schools are created equal, I would even go as far as to agree that there are maybe only 2 that are worth it, and by no means I am saying make it easy; therefore I disagree with your comment "online schools dont cut it" because the research indicates otherwise.  There are plenty of lawyers out there that are irresponsible and completed their education at an ABA accredited school. The school you attend does not make you more or less responsible, the ABA might not want it because its all about the politics and of course the money.  As long as you and I receive the same level and quality of education, and we are administered the same examination and held to the same standards; there is no reason why not to allow a student from an non traditional law school to sit for the Bar at whatever state.  I say give online schools students an additional exam and let them prove themselves.  Challenge the system because its discriminating, most students that take the online route are already professionals, parents, business people and they work twice as hard to make it, GIVE THAM A CHANCE. Are you afraid we are going to do better than you are?

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 06:21:12 PM »
Why not?  The rules and regulations of the ABA were written a very long time ago.  And I dont doubt that not all online schools are created equal, I would even go as far as to agree that there are maybe only 2 that are worth it, and by no means I am saying make it easy; therefore I disagree with your comment "online schools dont cut it" because the research indicates otherwise.  There are plenty of lawyers out there that are irresponsible and completed their education at an ABA accredited school. The school you attend does not make you more or less responsible, the ABA might not want it because its all about the politics and of course the money.  As long as you and I receive the same level and quality of education, and we are administered the same examination and held to the same standards; there is no reason why not to allow a student from an non traditional law school to sit for the Bar at whatever state.  I say give online schools students an additional exam and let them prove themselves.  Challenge the system because its discriminating, most students that take the online route are already professionals, parents, business people and they work twice as hard to make it, GIVE THAM A CHANCE. Are you afraid we are going to do better than you are?

Ha ha ha.  Yes, that's it.  I'm afraid the large law firm I'm going to work for is going to stop hiring from reputable schools to take on-line students.

I'm not doubting that on-line law schools could produce a handful of excellent attorneys, however, the ABA requirements are there for a reason and they are actually too lenient.  Look at medical schools, which are far more regulated than law schools.

Whether you like it or not, on-line law students (even if they ever get accredited) will never be accepted into the mainline - biglaw, sophisticated legal arena.  Hell, even TTT accredited schools aren't accepted.

So on second-thought, if you want to be a bottom dweller in the profession, go for it.

ecwinch

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »
The simplest answer is that the ABA has no motivation to consider distance learning as a modality for obtaining a professionally accredited legal education. A petition is not going change that. The current system is too entrenched and the petition would have to be supported by the same power structure that is threatened by the change that would result.

Do not be drawn into the discussion about how the marketplace will respond to on-line education. In the past, similar logic was used to discourage women and minorities from pursuing a legal education. 

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 01:08:08 AM »

The ABA doesn't want you.  There are too many bad non-online law schools.  Being a lawyer is a huge responsibility and I'm sorry, online law schools don't cut it.

This is right.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.