Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone going ED, or apply ED in the past, to Chicago? (175/3.54)  (Read 922 times)

XX

• View Profile
My numbers are 175 and 3.54 in philosophy at a large, but pretty respectable, state school. Chicago is my top choice for a number of reasons and I've decided to go ED there to improve my chances.

I think my app, outside the LSAT score of course, is likely to be pretty weak. I'm graduating in three years, next August after summer classes, so my transcript is pretty thin at this point. Also, I have almost no work experience. I have, however, volunteered for a few local political campaigns and am an official clerk of elections in my voting district...so I'll at least have something to put on my resume. One of my LORs is likely to be very, very, strong but the other is likely to just be one of those fairly impersonal recaps of my grades in the writer's class (all As of course, but still...).

People have suggested my numbers would give me a good chance of getting into Chicago with an RD app and that going ED might cost me the opportunity to get some money by leveraging acceptances from lower T14s. I, however, am fairly pessimistic and want to do whatever I can to make sure I get in. I'm thinking that, whatever deficiencies my app might have, going ED with 175 might make me close to a lock to be accepted. Am I wrong about that?

XX

• View Profile
Re: Anyone going ED, or apply ED in the past, to Chicago? (175/3.54)
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 10:00:20 AM »
First, thanks for the response! Also, while of course I agree my transcript is thin, it's not quite that thin as I took a few classes this past summer and am taking an overload schedule which includes 3 grad-level courses right now that should be completed and ready to send in mid-December (which is after UofC's Dec-1 ED deadline, but will definitely make it to consideration if I am deferred). Do you really think the thin transcript gives me a worse than even shot at being accepted even with an ED commitment and LSAT well above their 75th percentile??

XX

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 12:39:59 PM »
It's kind of a "why not?" thing.

#1 -- I'm definitely going to graduate this summer whether I go to LS in the fall or not, there's no way I'm sticking around.
#2 -- I know for sure that I want to be a lawyer.
#3 -- I feel like my LSAT score gives me a pretty decent shot to go to Chicago or my second choice, Penn, next year.

What else would I do with next year that wouldn't be a waste of time? I'm not in a position to (nor do I have the inclination to) go gallivanting around Europe or anything like that. And given my eventual goal to be a lawyer, I can't think of any job/internship/whatever I could do next year that would better serve that goal than attending Law School itself.

HR6352

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 09:36:03 AM »
This advice telling the kid to take a year off is crazy.  If you want to become a lawyer and don't have the desire to travel or do anything else for a year, go to law school.  Every year you waste costs you a $130K a year you could be making as a Chicago grad. 

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 08:07:58 PM »
This advice telling the kid to take a year off is crazy.  If you want to become a lawyer and don't have the desire to travel or do anything else for a year, go to law school.  Every year you waste costs you a $130K a year you could be making as a Chicago grad. 

Yeah, RUSH RUSH RUSH into this likely life-changing decision. We can't afford a year to explore other options.