Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: becoming a citizen?  (Read 889 times)

gvtlaw

• View Profile
becoming a citizen?
« on: October 20, 2009, 12:22:37 AM »
Do most state and federal government law jobs really require U.S. citizenship? It's not enough just to be a legal, law-abiding permanent resident?

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: becoming a citizen?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 09:28:35 AM »
To be a Federal employee you must be a citizen.  It makes sense.  The government isn't going to take risks on allegiances.

ksully

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 04:34:13 PM »
To be a Federal employee you must be a citizen.  It makes sense.  The government isn't going to take risks on allegiances.

Not necessarily. To be admitted into the civil service program you have to be a citizen. If the agency or the position is excepted from the civil service requirements, then you don't have to be citizen. There are also restricts on paying non-citizens, but there are exceptions to this to based on the agency and the persons citizenship. Your best bet is to contact the agency you are thinkning of working for.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 10:11:15 AM »

Not necessarily. To be admitted into the civil service program you have to be a citizen. If the agency or the position is excepted from the civil service requirements, then you don't have to be citizen. There are also restricts on paying non-citizens, but there are exceptions to this to based on the agency and the persons citizenship. Your best bet is to contact the agency you are thinkning of working for.

To be an actual FED, which is a  civil servant 90% of the time (short foreign service) you have to be a citizen.  It's contractor positions that are non-citizen requirements.  You can't be a government employee without US citizenship.

I'm a GS-14, I think I have a pretty good handle on the system.

NewHere

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 03:01:31 PM »
That is not true.  Some federal jobs (not contractor jobs, actual employment by the federal government) can be taken by non-citizens.  Others cannot.  Competitive civil service jobs cannot.  Higher-up jobs with policy-making authority cannot.  But several lower-level jobs are open to non-citizens. 

The jobs that are available to non-citizens, however, are generally not open to citizens of all countries, only to citizens of countries in a current military alliance with the US (e.g. NATO countries and some other countries with good diplomatic ties to the US). 

But don't take my word for it.  Here's what the government has to say about it: 'http://www.usajobs.gov/EI9.asp