Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: megasplitter - ED to Chicago?  (Read 3746 times)

slightlystoopid

• View Profile
Re: megasplitter - ED to Chicago?
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 11:11:19 PM »
UVA offer you any money?  If it did, I'm not sure that it's worth risking just for Chicago.

$$ notifications don't come until Jan unless you got the full Dean's scholly which they let you know of during the acceptance call. I definitely didn't get that.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 11:26:43 PM »
UVA offer you any money?  If it did, I'm not sure that it's worth risking just for Chicago.

$$ notifications don't come until Jan unless you got the full Dean's scholly which they let you know of during the acceptance call. I definitely didn't get that.

Not necessarily true. I was accepted to UVA last year in perhaps January or so and didn't get awarded the full Dean's Scholarship until late March. There's still a chance you could get the award even if you weren't notified of such at admission.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

slightlystoopid

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 04:35:26 PM »
I applied to HLS on Friday. How likely is it that I will get a JR1?

Again, stats are 172 2.7 (strong upward trend - 3.8 over the past 2yrs) AA male. Excellent PS, compelling GPA addendum, excellent LORs (one that specifically discounts my low GPA) and an average DS. Decent softs - internships, student govt, fraternity, etc.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 09:09:17 PM »
It's possible.  You withdraw that ED app from Chi yet?

slightlystoopid

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 11:46:26 PM »
Most people I've talked to think I'm a lock for Chicago ED so if it's likely that I'll at least get a phone interview from Harvard then I'm going to switch my Chicago app from ED to RD. If it's more unlikely then I'll leave everything as is. Personally, I think I'll be deferred from ED and then later accepted but I honestly have no firm grasp because my numbers are so unique for an AA male so there isn't much data I can analyze. I've gotten a lot of positive advice from fellow applicants and those who seem to be in the know and they all believe I have a shot at HLS.

A., are you in law school? What school, if you don't mind me asking.

Also, any more substantive statements on what my chances are? Anyone?

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2009, 06:27:29 AM »
No, I graduated from YLS in 2008.

The problem with your plan is that you applied to HLS rather late, so you might hear from Chicago before you hear from HLS...and you'd be screwed.  What is it about Chicago that you like so much?

slightlystoopid

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2009, 11:17:48 AM »
The academic tilt appeals to me, small class size, stellar faculty, and excellent clerkship and biglaw placement. I plan to practice in Chicago post-grad so that's another plus. Also, my ideal career trajectory would be 2yrs in a COA clerkship -> ~10yrs in big law -> USAOs/prestigious public interest work/academia -> statewide/nat'l politics. Chicago would be great for all of these things.

However, I would obviously drop Chicago in a heart beat for HLS. I emailed the HLS BLSA last night looking for their advice but they probably won't get back to me until next week at the earliest.

What were your numbers A., if you don't mind sharing. There are very people who are well-versed on the subject of URM admissions so I appreciate your candor and advice.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2009, 08:27:15 PM »
I'm not sure that Chicago is preferable over UVA or, especially, Michigan for those things.  The Chicago market is probably saturated with Chicago grads, so going elsewhere might actually put you at an advantage if you want to end up there.  But OK.

In general terms, my numbers were 3.8+, 170s.

slightlystoopid

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2009, 11:48:02 PM »
Really, you think so? Chicago only graduates about 190 students a year and about 70% of those go on to biglaw. Undoubtedly many of that 70% ends up at Kirkland & Ellis, Sidley Austin and other big time firms but if I had to get I'd say about half probably head to NYC. Michigan has great COA placement and I have many reasons why Michigan is in my top two choices. I just think that if I pull the trigger to RD now on Chicago I'll end up being auto-rejected. I don't want that when HLS is only a pipe dream at the moment and Michigan is far from a sure thing. Ughhhh.... this process is annoying. Well, my GPA is really the annoying thing about it all. Happy Thanksgiving.