Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Typical day of a law school student?  (Read 4301 times)

coolmali

• View Profile
Typical day of a law school student?
« on: October 19, 2009, 01:13:37 PM »
Hi guys, so I've been a long time lurker of LSD and have found so much helpful info. I got accepted to Columbia Law (yay!) but decided to defer for one year. The reason being, I've been passionate about the performing arts since I was little and got significant experience in dance and acting but sacrificed devoting myself to it for academics. My dedication to my studies paid off of course, but I knew that once I started law school my performing arts career will be all but a dream. So I took the plunge and deferred. I have been training at a dance studio to eventually get signed by an agent, and plan to be in the entertainment field for the next few years. 

Nevertheless, law school is still my ultimate goal and I plan to go in the near future. So here's my question: is law school so entirely demanding that other pursuits are impossible? If I decide to attend next fall, would I still have time for auditions, rehearsals, etc.? What is a typical day like, and from your experience, is it possible to have a life outside of law school?

Thanks guys!

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Typical day of a law school student?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 02:15:05 PM »
Depends on how well you manage your time but I would plan on having very, very little free time during 1L.

You will have more free time during 2L and 3L but unless the economy improves dramatically by that time, you'd probably be better off gaining as much legal experience as possible to make yourself as attractive as possible to employers. The days of a top law school guaranteeing you a six-figure income no matter what are basically over unless something drastically changes from the current situation.

My honest advice is that if you're really passionate about your arts career is to not go to law school at all, or not go to law school until you've completely gotten it out of your system.

SEC_2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 03:03:38 PM »
One caveat I will add is that this nonsense people spew about 2L being much easier than 1L is ridiculous. Granted, if you did nothing but class like in 1L it would be a great deal easier. But if you are doing law review/journal, mock trial, moot court, interviewing for 2L summer AND class (and were also dumb enough to accept a judicial externship for the semester)...1L will be a calming and longed-for memory while you are working yourself to death...

coolmali

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 03:07:38 PM »
Depends on how well you manage your time but I would plan on having very, very little free time during 1L.

You will have more free time during 2L and 3L but unless the economy improves dramatically by that time, you'd probably be better off gaining as much legal experience as possible to make yourself as attractive as possible to employers. The days of a top law school guaranteeing you a six-figure income no matter what are basically over unless something drastically changes from the current situation.

My honest advice is that if you're really passionate about your arts career is to not go to law school at all, or not go to law school until you've completely gotten it out of your system.

That's what I was thinking, but was hoping for my sake that I could hear something to give me hope. I've heard in plenty of places to assume 1L is a full time job. Columbia has been my dream school for eternity, so every now and then I think about what I'm sacrificing to do this. Thanks for the advice, it gives me some things to consider.

If this makes any difference, I plan to work in the public sector post-grad. I really don't plan on doing big law or anything in the courtroom.
Law school would just give me the expertise, critical thinkings skills, and prestige I need to be competitive in my desired field when I graduate. I'm really not trying to graduate at the top of the class or make 6 figures. I do understand however, to make decent grades (which is the least I would settle for), I need to be 100% focused on school.

Uggh, decisions, decisons!

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 03:31:08 PM »
Hi guys, so I've been a long time lurker of LSD and have found so much helpful info. I got accepted to Columbia Law (yay!) but decided to defer for one year. The reason being, I've been passionate about the performing arts since I was little and got significant experience in dance and acting but sacrificed devoting myself to it for academics. My dedication to my studies paid off of course, but I knew that once I started law school my performing arts career will be all but a dream. So I took the plunge and deferred. I have been training at a dance studio to eventually get signed by an agent, and plan to be in the entertainment field for the next few years. 

Nevertheless, law school is still my ultimate goal and I plan to go in the near future. So here's my question: is law school so entirely demanding that other pursuits are impossible? If I decide to attend next fall, would I still have time for auditions, rehearsals, etc.? What is a typical day like, and from your experience, is it possible to have a life outside of law school?

Thanks guys!

Law School is demanding. I generally worked from about 7-7 most days (including class time). But on Wednesdays, I'd play ball with the fellas. I lived with my fiancee, so we watched TV together late at night and ate late dinners. Thursdays, I went to Bar Review with my classmates late at night. Generally there were no classes on Friday and you can really plan your weekends the way you want to. But working about 8-10 hours a day I would say is typical.

As long as you're not the type to get tired easily, you'll have a social life and you'll have weekends. Law school isn't much different from having a full time job imo.
YLS c/o 2009

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 04:41:21 PM »
fwiw, my friend at school decided to pursue dancing as we started 1L.  He doesn't audition or anything, but he does make time to take classes.  I think most people make the time to go to the gym, and so there is time to do those kinds of things.  However, I would doubt you would have time to be in a show or anything of that nature.  I think basically you'll have to pick one career over another.
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 04:48:40 PM »
Public sector jobs are more competitive than ever and the good ones were never easy to get. Not only that, but things like clinics and academic year internships/externships are highly valued by public sector employers and are a huge time suck on top of classes. Merely coasting your way through law school isn't going to get you a good public sector job. The fact that you will be going to Columbia, again, makes no difference.

SEC 2L is right and I didn't mean to imply that every 2L will have more free time. Many will, some won't. A lot of 2Ls I knew had more free time, but I didn't. 3L is actually the busiest year for me because I'm in a clinic.

Top Cat

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ky. born, Ky. bred... when I die, I'll be Ky. dead
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 09:33:27 PM »
For what it's worth, my typical Monday (the only day that I have a night class):

Wake up at 7:15- get to law school by 8:15.

Study from 8:15- 9:00

9:00-9:50- Contracts

9:50-11:00- Study (usually Contracts)

11:00-11:50- CivPro

11:50-1:00- Eat/ study (usually CivPro)

1:00-1:50- Torts

1:50-3:00- Study (usually Torts and Crim)

3:00-3:50- Crim

3:50-6:30- Study anything that I haven't gotten to/ work on Writing/ Research

6:30-7:30- Legal Writing

Granted, this is my busiest day.  Most days I work from 9:00 to about 4:00 (including class), come home and work out, and finish up anything I have left.  Done by 6:00.
University of Kentucky 1L

LSN

coolmali

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 10:34:13 AM »
Thanks for everything guys. I've decided to defer one more year while I pursue dance. If I feel like I can be successful in the performing arts (i.e. I'm scheduled to tour or I land some other big gig) I'm going to put law school on hold. It's a little scary, but I feel I have to live my life to the fullest! I'd hate to be in class constantly dreaming of what could have been. I do wonder how Columbia would feel if 6-7 years from now I reapplied and what that process is like. Something to consider. Anyway, appreciate the help!

Miche

• View Profile
    • Sharp & Useless
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 10:37:02 PM »
Columbia will not hold it against you that you decided to dance before going to law school. They're not about "hooking 'em young." They'll like you just as much when you reapply. No worries on that score.

Also, they like bragging about their artsy students. One of my friends was a Hamilton Fellow, in part due to his active life in the arts prior to applying for law school.

Pursue dance and remember that if you become tired of the lifestyle, suffer an injury, or otherwise need/want to settle down, you'll always have an excellent school as a fallback option.
Lawyers: performing acts on desks that no decent person would ever do.
-Miche, co-creator of Sharp & Useless