Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3.79 GPA/160 LSAT...Chances at TN?  (Read 1852 times)

cnote

• View Profile
3.79 GPA/160 LSAT...Chances at TN?
« on: October 18, 2009, 06:14:46 PM »
What do you guys think my chances for Tennessee are with those scores? I want to study public int'l law and have good volunteer experience, a master's degree in anthropology that I studied for in England, and (I think so!) excellent reccommendations. What do you all think? Should I be worried bc of my lower LSAT score?

MorningStar

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 3.79 GPA/160 LSAT...Chances at TN?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 07:55:21 PM »
Looking for an ego stroke?  I don't get it.  According to UT's own statistics you are at their LSAT median and significantly exceed their GPA median.  Clearly you have an extremely good shot.  Would a higher LSAT assure your admission and scholarship chances?  Assuredly yes. 

http://www.law.utk.edu/prospective/AtAGlance09.pdf

cnote

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 09:05:15 PM »
Definitely not looking for an ego stroke, but this is where I REALLY want to go, and my LSAT scores are only at the median. I feel like I have a shot, yes, but I am just nervous and want to be sure I'm not assuming the best. My graduate GPA is significantly lower, and I felt like in order to make that look better I would need a higher LSAT score. I guess I was under the impression that 160 was only average, and that I needed something a bit higher than average in order to have the best shot possible. I'm sorry if I came off cocky; it was not my intention as I am just extremely nervous about the whole thing.

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 09:52:41 PM »
I think the OP's question is fair and not blatant ego stroking.  OP, are you a TN resident?  This would most likely help a lot.

cnote

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 10:05:26 PM »
edited.

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 10:24:19 PM »
Yes, I am a Tennessee resident. But I don't plan to stay in TN to practice law (which is fairly obvious considering I want to study international human rights law--not much going on there in TN, really), so I don't know how those two things balance out. I know they look for both.

Hrm.

Well:

1) You're solid at TN considering that you're a resident. 

2) If you plan on attending Tennessee Law, plan on living in Tennessee.  Out of state placement will prove to be difficult regardless of how you finish without significant family connections.  The amount of Tennessee grads working in international markets like NYC are far and few between.  It's not impossible I guess, but it will be a tremendous uphill battle.  And if you're dead set about leaving Tennessee, attending UT Law is a really poor idea.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 01:01:31 AM »
I'd be surprised if you didn't get in.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

MorningStar

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 04:35:33 PM »
My point was that everyone is going to tell you the same thing you can clearly observe based on the available admissions stats - your chances are very good.  You aren't a fringe candidate.  Now the fun part, the waiting game.