Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Just got my score.. Looking for advice  (Read 2692 times)

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Just got my score.. Looking for advice
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 09:39:56 PM »
Thanks Thales. I'm applying regionally - I live in Seattle and can't imagine living or working elsewhere. I'll be applying to Seattle U, Gonzaga, Willamette, and though they are a bit more of a reach (I'm just at their 25%), Oregon and Lewis and Clark for the hell of it. I'd love to stay here and go to Seattle U.

Nice! Good luck!

vthokie21

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 01:38:54 PM »
I scored a 153. That was after about 6 weeks of prep time while working full-time and overtime. The only prep materials I used were the PowerScore Logical Reasoning Bible and the LSAC Superprep. Would it be reasonable for me to break 160 on the February test with more prep time and materials? I only did about 2 or 3 timed practice tests prior to the September 09 test. I have a book of 10 practice tests that I didn't even get to because I ran out of time. I don't think I have enough time to prep by December.

annalisa

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 10:02:22 PM »
@LSAT All Star:  My score was a 144, my practice average was 152. I described my preparation earlier, but I did a lot of practice sections over the summer (2-3 hrs per day, about 4 days a week) with one untimed practice test each week. In August I started doing two practice tests a week in addition to other untime practice work as well.

To everyone else, thank you all for the advice and encouragement! I really appreciate it. I didn't use the Bibles, but it looks like they're tried and true methods for improving your score. I'll have to pick up one. Is it better to get all three? My worst section is definitely the arguments, if it matters at all (games best, reading so-so).

elle-y

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 11:42:32 PM »
Definitely get all three. I completely choked on reading comp on test day, but I was averaging only 2 or 3 wrong on practice tests after using the Bible.

My trick though was renting the books from chegg.com. I used the reading comp bible quickly enough to "return" it for a full refund...then took my time with the other 2, copying information to a spiral notebook (I study best when I write things and repeat them myself) and then used scratch paper.
3.1 / 156

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 11:29:28 AM »
Hi all,

I've mostly been lurking this board during my (roughly) year of prep for the LSAT and I just want to start off by saying thank you to the frequent posters, and all those that offer solid advice. It's really helped along the way, and also calmed some of my nerves :)

Anyway, I just got my score and I'm quite disappointed. I ended up getting a full six points lower than my average practice scores, and it's low enough that I'm looking at Puerto Rico as my only guaranteed acceptance at this point.

My question/concern, I suppose, would be whether or not it's worth it to take the test again in December. At this point, I am planning on retaking it, but I'm mostly worried about the fact that most people don't see a significant increase on their second test.

I'm also concerned about getting back into the flow of studying. I had been casually studying (mostly practicing logic games) from January-May, and when the summer came I cracked down with 2-3 hours per day, four days a week of studying with a practice test each week (untimed). This continued as the fall semester started as I included two (timed) practice tests a week leading up until the test. Like I said before, these practice tests averaged a decent score that would have most likely been acceptable for the schools I want to apply to.

Is there any reason I SHOULDN'T take the December test? I've toyed around with the idea of taking a year off but I don't want to if I don't have to. And what would be an ideal study plan for December, based on what I've done previously (alterations or tweaks to it)?

Thanks a lot, I'd appreciate any and all advice and/or criticisms :) I'm trying to stay optimistic here (my GPA is good for the schools I'm looking for, too) but I think I need a realistic outlook on this!

You seem to have only taken 2 timed tests the entire time you studied...I'd say from what I've read online of folks who got 170 or better (which is what I want), they took EVERY test ever released, and the vast majority of them were TIMED.  You have to get the time down, be able to finish all sections with 5 minutes left over to bubble in answers.

Take all your tests from here on out under strict time constraints...i see that a lot of people cheat and give themselves time when practicing...by a kitchen timer if necessary.

Definitely I saw one guy post somewhere (not necessarily on this site) to take every test available, even if you have to take one every day right up to the test.

And I also saw not to do any major changes in routine in the days leading up to the test.  Don't start exercising if you never did before, don't change up your diet...get sleep.

Some brought a practice test to the site to "warm up" with.  Some let it all go from the night before.

dress in layers so you can prevent being too hot or too cold.

lol yeah I'm putting off applying til next fall because I need a full scholarship and I figure a 170 will give it to me easily.  Been researching the hell out of how to get that score!