Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Just got my score.. Looking for advice  (Read 2664 times)

annalisa

• View Profile
Just got my score.. Looking for advice
« on: October 17, 2009, 06:26:36 PM »
Hi all,

I've mostly been lurking this board during my (roughly) year of prep for the LSAT and I just want to start off by saying thank you to the frequent posters, and all those that offer solid advice. It's really helped along the way, and also calmed some of my nerves :)

Anyway, I just got my score and I'm quite disappointed. I ended up getting a full six points lower than my average practice scores, and it's low enough that I'm looking at Puerto Rico as my only guaranteed acceptance at this point.

My question/concern, I suppose, would be whether or not it's worth it to take the test again in December. At this point, I am planning on retaking it, but I'm mostly worried about the fact that most people don't see a significant increase on their second test.

I'm also concerned about getting back into the flow of studying. I had been casually studying (mostly practicing logic games) from January-May, and when the summer came I cracked down with 2-3 hours per day, four days a week of studying with a practice test each week (untimed). This continued as the fall semester started as I included two (timed) practice tests a week leading up until the test. Like I said before, these practice tests averaged a decent score that would have most likely been acceptable for the schools I want to apply to.

Is there any reason I SHOULDN'T take the December test? I've toyed around with the idea of taking a year off but I don't want to if I don't have to. And what would be an ideal study plan for December, based on what I've done previously (alterations or tweaks to it)?

Thanks a lot, I'd appreciate any and all advice and/or criticisms :) I'm trying to stay optimistic here (my GPA is good for the schools I'm looking for, too) but I think I need a realistic outlook on this!

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Just got my score.. Looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 07:12:55 PM »
You may see a significant increase. However, since a 6 points drop is not particularly uncommon, this may also mean modifying your prep routine.

My score increased 18 points between my first and second sittings. My highest LSAT was still about 3-4 points below my PT average however.

annalisa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 07:37:54 PM »
Thanks for the info! Any suggestions on how I should modify my preparation?

LSAT All Star

• Sr. Citizen
  • Keeping it simple
    • View Profile
    • All Star Test Prep
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 10:24:14 PM »
Thanks for the info! Any suggestions on how I should modify my preparation?

LSAT advice is not one-size-fits-all.  What did you score and how did you prep?
Visit us at allstartestprep.com

elle-y

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 12:47:09 AM »
First of all, if you want to be a lawyer, don't go to a law school in Puerto Rico.

Second, you can definitely hope for a significant increase. In June of 2005 I got a 145; In October, three months later, I got a 154. I just took the test again in September and got a 156.

I like using the logic bibles (there are several.) I focused on weak types of questions, and focused on each type of section at a time. Learn what you suck at. Then get good at it.

It's definitely possible.
3.1 / 156

AADVOCATE

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 07:36:21 PM »
If you do retake, check out the Formal Logic section in the Logical Reasoning Bible from Powerscore. It is by far the best section ive read so far and helps out with your diagramming, even in games. If you skip some sections, don't skip this one.

I read these posts for encouragement by the way. I feel I may be in your same situation which is why i dont consider something my "predicted score" unless it is completely timed and without breaks. This probably explains my dismal 151. When I dont time myself I get above 160. Efficiency is definitely the hardest part for me and probably explains that drop you are experiencing. I wont delude myself with thinking i'm going to get a 160 by cutting corners. With that said, I am a self-studier and have only read the 2 powerscore bibles.....along with 6 preptests so far.

I just got the logic games workbook as a supplement to the bible and does anyone else find these to be easier??? The games are from 2000 and later for the most part. Is it just that games from later lsats are easier? or did they just give us easy ones to work with? My confidence is a lot higher with games on this workbook than on earlier practice tests. I felt like I was going to shoot myself on one of those earlier ones, now I feel determined. Either I'm getting better or these games are too easy. :)

151 or not....I'm doing this.

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 12:58:31 AM »
First of all, if you want to be a lawyer, don't go to a law school in Puerto Rico.

Second, you can definitely hope for a significant increase. In June of 2005 I got a 145; In October, three months later, I got a 154. I just took the test again in September and got a 156.

I like using the logic bibles (there are several.) I focused on weak types of questions, and focused on each type of section at a time. Learn what you suck at. Then get good at it.

It's definitely possible.

This is a very respectable increase. I'm curious though - did you prep the first time?

elle-y

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 02:47:25 AM »

This is a very respectable increase. I'm curious though - did you prep the first time?

For the 145? Not seriously. I did a handful of practice tests but really had no I idea what I was getting myself into. It was straight out of "Legally Blonde": "Do you think one day she woke up one morning and said 'I think I'll go to law school?'" ... Then I got serious about it.
3.1 / 156

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 09:44:42 AM »

For the 145? Not seriously. I did a handful of practice tests but really had no I idea what I was getting myself into. It was straight out of "Legally Blonde": "Do you think one day she woke up one morning and said 'I think I'll go to law school?'" ... Then I got serious about it.

Yeah, that makes sense. Typically the jump from the 140s to 150s is simply a matter of getting more familiar with the test elements. From the 150s to 160s or 170s relies heavily on timing and review.

This is not in any way to minimize your accomplishment though.

Have you decided where you're going to apply?

elle-y

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 03:42:06 PM »
Thanks Thales. I'm applying regionally - I live in Seattle and can't imagine living or working elsewhere. I'll be applying to Seattle U, Gonzaga, Willamette, and though they are a bit more of a reach (I'm just at their 25%), Oregon and Lewis and Clark for the hell of it. I'd love to stay here and go to Seattle U.
3.1 / 156