h

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: 3.786/171
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 07:24:52 PM »
Stanford:Probably no, worth a shot - Stanford is generally harder than Harvard to get into.
Columbia: Probably no, worth a shot - need a 173-4 based on lawschoolnumbers.com
NYU: Decent chance, still a bit of a reach
Chicago: Ditto
Berkeley: Pretty good chance

Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 08:01:18 PM »

I'm a senior at UC Irvine and majoring in Political Science.

LSAT (taken once): 171 (Sep '09)
GPA: 3.786

I'll be applying to the top 15 schools, but I'm wondering what my chances would be at:

Stanford
Columbia
NYU
UChicago
Berkeley

U Asian?   ;D

Love U long time.   :-*

Tofu

• View Profile
d
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 01:18:26 AM »
d

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 02:28:07 PM »
How would my chances for UChicago be if I applied Early Decision there?  What about Columbia?

Thanks!

To Contract2008: I'm Chinese

I knew it!  I must say that I don't like stinky tofu at all.  Regular tofu is good though. 

Lekowitz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 03:51:56 AM »
Don't bother applying at Chicago. I have similar numbers to yours and that is my top choice.  >:(

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 02:06:14 PM »

I'm a senior at UC Irvine and majoring in Political Science.

LSAT (taken once): 171 (Sep '09)
GPA: 3.786

I'll be applying to the top 15 schools, but I'm wondering what my chances would be at:

Stanford
Columbia
NYU
UChicago
Berkeley

I think you should add Penn, Duke and UCLA to your list. 

HR6352

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 07:59:01 PM »
I'm 171/3.63 and got into Chicago.  Good luck! 

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 09:18:06 PM »
Given your stats, I'd say you have a very good shot at being smart enough not to go to law school.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 02:01:27 PM »
Given your stats, I'd say you have a very good shot at being smart enough not to go to law school.

didn't you clerk?  I thought you liked the law...?

No, I don't like it, I LOVE it.  It has worked out very well for me - I can't think of a thing I would change.  I have a hard time seeing it as a good investment nowadays, however.  You really have to want it, and you have to throw any sense of entitlement you could've gotten away with in years past out the window.   I'm not saying you don't want it or you do feel entitled, because I don't know you, but I do know a significant number of recent grads disillusioned due to one or both of the aforementioned factors. 

If you're sure you want to go to law school, then your stats indicate the work ethic and intellect to get in somewhere great and succeed there.  But I've heard rumors that even at places like Columbia, students in the bottom half of the class are having a tough time on the job front.  That sucks for a school at which you'd likely pay full price.  And as smart and hard-working as you are, all of your classmates there will be too.  It's just scary.

But, then again, it's not like all of your other opportunities are likely to be economically rosy, either.  So do what you must, and best of luck to you.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .