Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT 159, GPA 3.56, Too low for UCLA?  (Read 4898 times)

ThomasUnderling

• View Profile
LSAT 159, GPA 3.56, Too low for UCLA?
« on: October 17, 2009, 01:50:10 AM »
I just got my LSAT score and did worse than I expected and prepped (I was averaging 164).

LSAT Score: 159
Current GPA: 3.56
Attending a well-rated California State University.

My number one choice is UCLA. However, their stats state that the average acceptance range is:

25th-75th percentile LSAT: 164 - 169
25th-75th percentile GPA: 3.49-3.87

I don't have much extracurricular experience apart from very brief eboard experience for an on-campus org. However, I am currently in the running for acceptance into the National Model United Nations (just had my interview today and I think I nailed it). And I am looking to get involved in my college's United Business Student Senate as an executive member.

Either way, I don't want to necessarily rely on this so I am planning on retaking the LSATs this December in hopes of increasing my score. Meanwhile, I have to decide whether to start applying to schools now or wait, including UCLA. I had wanted to try to do their early decision program but am scared because of my current score.

So what you you think of this? Am I screwed on this and should just retake the LSATs and wait to apply for everything, or should I take a chance and go ahead and apply to my colleges, including UCLA?

Any advice is appreciated.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: LSAT 159, GPA 3.56, Too low for UCLA?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 03:17:42 AM »
Your numbers are too low for UCLA. Consider applying to some other schools or retaking the LSAT, depending on what you want.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

ThomasUnderling

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 03:27:00 AM »
Your numbers are too low for UCLA. Consider applying to some other schools or retaking the LSAT, depending on what you want.

Well, time to go sign up for the December LSATs then. :(

Do the schools not put much weight in your extra curricular activities? I was hearing that stuff like the mock UN thing helps a lot with admissions, but I figured it wouldn't counter a low LSAT score.

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 02:00:03 PM »
It wouldn't bring you past your numbers.  If you're set on UCLA, you should retake if you think you can get a better score
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

saks5th

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 02:48:51 PM »
look...UCLA are big number whores, you may or may not get in. All I can say is write the best personal statement your mind will allow you to write, and apply!! You never know. My thinking is: UCLA will certainly accept at least one person with numbers like yours, you just have to go all in. I have similar numbers like yours, except higher GPA and more extra.C, and I applied to UCLA.

verysmiley

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 04:23:50 PM »
I'm in a similar situation with UCLA . . . 163 LSAT, 3.9 GPA at an Ivy, very good softs and whatnot.  UCLA is just one of those applications I'm shooting out there with hopes of them maybe throwing me a bone.  Anyone think it's worth the application price for me?

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 05:33:26 PM »
Thanks for the info. I signed up for the December LSATs already so I am definitely taking it.

The question now is if I do that, can I still apply for UCLA (and my other choice law schools) now and let them know I will be taking the LSATs again in December or should i hold off until I get my results the second time around?

You can definitely do this, then when your score comes in they can begin evaluating your application.

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 05:35:19 PM »
I'm in a similar situation with UCLA . . . 163 LSAT, 3.9 GPA at an Ivy, very good softs and whatnot.  UCLA is just one of those applications I'm shooting out there with hopes of them maybe throwing me a bone.  Anyone think it's worth the application price for me?

Looks like you will most likely get waitlisted, I would say it's worth the price if you really want to go: http://ucla.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0809/?whichCycle=0910

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 07:32:01 PM »
I was hearing that stuff like the mock UN thing helps a lot with admissions

You heard wrong.

Remember: you are beautiful and unique snowflake, just like everyone else.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 08:47:09 PM »
My main concern is since I have already taken the LSATs once, they won't pay attention to the fact that I am scheduled to retake it again this December and will make a decision based off of my first score.

Does anyone know a specific way I can avoid this? Such as what exact channels I must go through to make it clear to them so they will wait.

Again, blueskies and everyone else, thank you so much for the help you've provided so far.

Yes, on the application they ask if you plan on taking a future LSAT and which date, so it can be included in the application itself.  Also, you can attach an addendum stating that you will be retaking in December.  I did both of these, and all of my schools waited for my second score before evaluating my application.