Author Topic: ---  (Read 4421 times)

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
Re: ---
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2009, 05:44:04 PM »
[removed by request]
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

Angry Gorilla

• I'm Angry!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2009, 09:09:30 PM »

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2009, 09:11:29 PM »
+1

mytwocents

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2009, 01:44:42 AM »
Sucks that no one quoted the actual first post, so you can thank Google Cache for this  :D  And yes, I actually looked for this.  After the previous posts, I had to read the PS for myself!

"I'm writing my personal statement, and I need to know if this approach is absolutely ludicrous before even attempting it.

FYI: this is all going to sound EXTREMELY conceited, but I'm trying to be honest so I can get honest advice. Also, this is just my explanation of the topic Ė NOT any version of my statement.

I am very smart (I obviously understand I'm not unique in that respect, particularly among top law school applicants). Throughout school, my "reading level" was consistently around 3 or 4 grades above my own and my standardized test scores were always in the 98-99th percentile range (always a bit higher in math, in which I canít really remember getting less than 99.9th percentile).

In addition, my mind is extremely fast Ė I can pick up concepts much quicker than most people, even most other very smart people (I know my opinion is a bit biased, Tongue). I remember breezing through busy-work assignments in elementary school to the point where I would be not only be allowed to go play on the computer while everyone else did the work, but where this became such a regular practice that when a substitute teacher tried to forbid me from doing so even after I explained that I was allowed to, the rest of the students would let him or her know that it was true.

I am also very extroverted and opinionated, which in my "youth," translated to very loud bordering on hyper. While I got straight A's with no trouble, I had numerous "behavior" problems (i.e. I never stopped talking in class), particularly with more strict teachers. In my mind at the time, I didnít fully appreciate their claim that I was being disruptive, since I wasnít disrupting my own work.

Starting in elementary school and continuing on through my entire life thus far, this combination has proven problematic, most notably in the form of extreme procrastination. Iíve met few other people in life who are worse about procrastinating than I am, particularly among smart people.

Basically, since I never had to work, let alone work hard, to do very well, my work ethic is not great to say the least.

The real problem is that this has never been a real problem for me, until now that is. From 5th-12th grades I went to the most selective magnet school in Philadelphia among other very smart people, almost all of whom spent much more time on assignments than I did. Despite my horrible work habits, I graduated near the top of my class (my weighted GPA was a 103.2 to give you perspective on the school) with accolades, and after getting rejected from Yale ED, got into Columbia (my vast array of extracurriculars in which I also excelled probably didnít hurt), where I am now a senior.

Perhaps not surprisingly, my work ethic did not suddenly get all better once I was hit with hundreds of pages of reading, 12 page papers, and the famed core curriculum. I went abroad last semester (spring junior year) and since it wasnít a Columbia program, they donít take the grades into account for my current GPA, which is a 3.357. Iím trying really hard to pull it up this semester, but it can only do so much.

Obviously, this isnít great for top law schools. I took the September LSAT and obviously hope to get at least 170 (practice tests in the 168-174 range), which I hope to find out about today or tomorrow Roll Eyes My main soft factor is that I do college mock trial (although not last year because of going abroad), in which Iíve received a number of awards. I know law school wonít be easy, but I really think Iíd be a great litigator (and yes, I know being a litigator involves much more work than just standing in front of a jury). My top choices for schools right now are NYU, Georgetown and Northwestern (yes, I know they highly value full time work experience).

Up until a couple of weeks ago, I was pretty set on applying straight away, but now I'm not so sure. It obviously depends largely on the email from LSAC I hope to get in the next 24-48 hours, but other factors (like the economy) play an important role in the decision. I know law school is a lot of work, but I know I'll get through it and it's what I know I want to do.

Any thoughts? I was going to post this in Personal Statements, but I realized that itís really about me as an applicant in general, so Iíll just post in the general admissions section. I appreciate any advice!

P.S. Sorry for the length, but I wanted to be thorough! Just putting myself out there, so please don't be too harsh. Also, hello to anyone who knows me, since you can obviously tell who I am [Smiley]

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,4021780.0.html"

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2009, 09:02:06 AM »
Honey, everything will be fine.

Just...try and nip this tendency in the bud, yes?
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.