Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: In a pickle  (Read 2300 times)

glabuz

• View Profile
    • Email
In a pickle
« on: October 14, 2009, 05:32:44 AM »
So i got caught about a month ago at the university of iowa, in a room where alcohol was present. I was in the room for 10 minutes not finding out until last second that my friends were drinking, and by then the RA knocked on the door, came in, and insisted that my friends put all the alcohol in the middle of the floor. After my friends did this the RA wrote down all the names of the kids in the room(there was 8 of us) and let us leave. Later that night me being frustrated about getting in trouble for something i didn't do went to the floor of the RA and ripped down one of the posters that was in the hall. As I walked away he came out of his room and saw me walking down the hall and questioned me. I denied it but eventually the next day confessed and apologized. Oh and he wrote down that I was slurring my speech although I did not drink that night.

So now I'm on disciplinary probation for the next 6 months due to alcohol/drug policy (which i dont believe I broke), and vandalism.

I guess my question is, does disciplinary probation on a college campus go on my permanent record, and if it does is there any way of getting rid of it completely. I want to go into law school, and i believe the bar checks into this. I am a freshman so is there any way that in the next 4 years this will be completely off my record.

and what does everyone think my chances on appealing something like this would be successful.

Really appreciate any response. Thank you for your time

-Stressed out college freshman

TheReasonableMan

• View Profile
Re: In a pickle
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 09:07:44 AM »
You're fine.  Unless your history reveals a pattern of this sort of thing, you have nothing to worry about.

glabuz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 12:50:12 PM »
i understand im fine but can i get this expunged to the point where it doesnt show up anywhere

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 02:44:09 PM »
Check the language on law school applications. Many of them will require you to disclose things that are expunged, arrests that result in no charges, etc. Even if they don't ask disclosing is probably a wise idea.

RE: whether or not it can be expunged, that's a legal question that you will have to consult a lawyer about.

Appealing it through the school totally depends on your school's policies and procedures. Check them and then consult your Academic Counselor and/or University Ombudsman.

Regardless of what happens, I doubt it will affect your admission to law school.

Dxion

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 11:00:59 AM »
I got into a lot more trouble than that in college and I had no problems with admissions.

Getting busted for booze is normal.  Honestly, you have to wonder about people that NEVER get written up.

As long as it does not become a pattern, as another poster wrote, you're fine.  I got written up three or four times for booze when I was in the dorms, was put on probation, and threatened with eviction.

Not one school I applied to gave a *&^%.

Don't worry.

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 03:58:52 PM »
False. Check the language on each application for the schools you're applying to. Some require disclosure regardless of whether or not it was expunged
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 04:34:43 PM »
I am not speculating, I have actually applied to law schools and read the applications in the process  ::)  They generally ask a question like:
"Have you ever been subject to any disciplinary action, placed on academic probation, dismissed, suspended, expelled, asked to withdraw for academic reasons, or been subject to any action for misconduct or honor code violation at any school, college, university, or graduate/professional school, or is any such action pending or expected to be brought against you?"

In the case, such as with the OP, where you have been subject to a disciplinary action, you must disclose this unless they append "unless the action has been expunged."  Additionally, you will have to report these kinds of things to your state bar, and they compare it with your law school application. 

OP, I really wouldn't worry about it as law schools don't generally count minor things against you, but it is in your best interest to disclose unless they tell you not to. 
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

Bizarro Jerry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 10:12:03 PM »
Time to start looking into paralegal programs at community colleges.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 10:15:54 PM »
Sure, some applications purport to require disclosure of expunged information.

Applications do not "purport to require" anything.  They either require or do not require.

Let me just qualify my previous post, and add that it doesn't "necessarily" need to be disclosed.

As blueskies suggested, unless the application specifically says you should omit expunged incidents, you must include these incidents.

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 10:31:19 PM »
False. Check the language on each application for the schools you're applying to. Some require disclosure regardless of whether or not it was expunged

Not false. Sure, some applications purport to require disclosure of expunged information. However, once that information is expunged, a) as a practical matter, it no longer exists in your accessible student file, and b) whatever remains regarding the proceedings are no longer accessible without your permission, a warrant, or a direct request from a federal law enforcement agency. Check the particular undergraduate school for its policy regarding this matter. The ombudsman will guide you through this process and inform you on how to handle those ethical dilemmas. Let me just qualify my previous post, and add that it doesn't "necessarily" need to be disclosed. While blueskies is most likely speculating, I am speaking from direct experience on the matter. Speak with your university ombudsman.

Awful advice