Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Same index score, high-LSAT splitter has better chances than non-splitter?  (Read 1364 times)

hopefulsplitter28

• View Profile
Using lawschoolpredictor.com with Boston U, a 2.76/170 and a 3.46/163 gives the SAME index score of 197.60.

The site gives 5 ratings: Deny, Weak Consider, Consider, Strong Consider, Admit

Whereas a 3.46/163 gets an outright Deny, the 2.76/170 gets a Consider.

My guess is this has to do with the splitter being able to at least pull up BU's median LSAT, while the non-splitter is a drag on both scores. Might there be other factors, like BU liking splitters?

Can anyone confirm this or give additional insight? Thanks.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Forget about those index calculators. They don't really tell you much and they're basically useless for splitters. Look at LSN. That will give you clues about what schools are splitter friendly and which ones are not. There are also many threads on this board about splitters.

hopefulsplitter28

• View Profile
The calculator I suggested takes into account "splitter-ness". I already looked at LSN, but there just isn't that much information for splitters, especially in my case (a few data points is there, but doesn't tell much).

The more extreme the split, the harder it is to find others in the same boat and compare

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Look back at previous cycles. Look at schools other than BU. Look at a "range" of numbers close to yours. A 2.8-2.9 with a 170+ may be "rare" but is not rare if you're talking about splitters. A 2.0 with a 180 is a different story.

Here is an example from a few years back when I was first deciding whether or not to apply to law school:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/burghblast

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Higher LSAT on the same index always wins unless there's something unique or special about the lower LSAT.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.