Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: texas law schools  (Read 15358 times)

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: texas law schools
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2010, 09:41:47 AM »
Texas over GT any day, no doubt.

Hey Reginold!

Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2010, 11:40:18 AM »
Texas over GT any day, no doubt.

Hey Reginold!

Well played sir.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

mccarthy

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2010, 12:47:20 PM »
I attend school the University of Texas at Tyler.  Without exception all of the people I have met on campus that want to practice law, want to attend law school in Texas (approximately 10 students).  I personally did not consider attending law school outside of Texas until the pre law advisor encouraged me to look at colleges outside of Texas.  I was wondering if it is normal for most students to generally only consider law schools in their state, is it a phenomenon unique only to Texas, or is it just coincidental that I know 10 other people that only want to go to law school in Texas?

I dont think there is one simple response to your question. Im sure that some choose to stay in-state for economic and/or familial reasons or because of a strong desire to stay close to home while others simply want the opportunity to live in a new region. Still others, I think, dont fully understand how regional most law schools are, so they blindly enter any high ranked school they can. They see a school ranked in the low 50s and assume that its employment prospects are better through and through than a particular mainstay in a given region. Of course, this desire to stay in-state could also be a phenomenon peculiar to Texas (though I doubt it) that arose because Texas is, quite frankly, a badass place to live. I may be biased in this last regard...seriously though, I would wager that what is "normal" is relative to lsat/gpa. Students with high numbers will probably apply to the T14 along with a smattering of other, more local schools; students with low numbers will likely apply to nearby third tier schools.