Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: texas law schools  (Read 15101 times)

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: texas law schools
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 03:31:39 AM »
Don't even waste your time applying to St. Mary's or South Texas either. You'll get at least one of the five that matter.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 04:48:26 PM »
I would guess this result:

UT - rejected
UH - accepted; probably with a small scholarship
SMU - accepted; maybe a small scholarship (maybe $10K/annual or less)
Baylor - accepted; probably with a 1/2 tuition scholarship (maybe more)
Every other school - accepted with full scholarship.

Good luck!

lawboy81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2009, 12:14:58 AM »
I had your exact numbers and got dinged at SMU FT, but got a $20,000 a year scholarship to attend PT. I don't know what was up with that, thought it was pretty strange. Anyway, decided to attend Tulane instead, where I also got a $20,000 a year scholarship (for FT, they don't have a PT, lol) and it's ranked higher than SMU and in a much cooler city anyway.

I think you should be good for U of Houston. My sense though is that it has zero pull outside the area.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2009, 10:20:48 PM »
Don't even waste your time applying to St. Mary's or South Texas either. You'll get at least one of the five that matter.

South Texas has a good reputation.  Maybe even better than Texas Tech, especially in Houston.

mccarthy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2009, 10:41:08 PM »
Contract - that's an interesting assertion. Are you saying that South Texas is a school that should be applied to by someone with my numbers who wishes to work in Texas?

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2009, 10:50:05 PM »
Contract - that's an interesting assertion. Are you saying that South Texas is a school that should be applied to by someone with my numbers who wishes to work in Texas?

No, what I am saying is that South Texas is not the "typical tier 4 law school."

You, with your numbers, should focus on UH, SMU, Tulane, UAlabama, etc.  Forget about tier 4.

mccarthy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2009, 10:55:58 PM »
Thanks, I find those words encouraging. I've kind of been sweating the whole process, thinking that my numbers might not be good enough in this "competitive" cycle. U of H is my top choice, primarily because of its tuition and it in-state reputation, but I would be happy elsewhere, I'm sure. What do you think of Baylor?

laurel1020

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 02:03:03 PM »
I'm applying to Baylor! I live in Texas and that is, in fact, the only school I applied to... I have a 162 LSAT and a 4.0 GPA, so I'm hopeful that I'll be accepted and maybe get some scholarship too. I didn't apply to UT because I don't really like Austin and couldn't see myself living there for three years. I didn't apply to U of H because it is a bit too close to home and I'm trying to be a little more independent from the family, same for South Texas (one of my cousins is actually a professor there so that would probably be worse).

I applied to Baylor because I love trial law and actually being in the courtroom. They have one of the best trial advocacy programs in the nation, and since that is what I am most passionate about in the law field, that is where I applied! South Texas has a great trial law program as well, but again, I'm kind of tired of my parents having a closer relationship with my professors than I do.

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2009, 02:47:36 PM »
I'm applying to Baylor! I live in Texas and that is, in fact, the only school I applied to... I have a 162 LSAT and a 4.0 GPA, so I'm hopeful that I'll be accepted and maybe get some scholarship too. I didn't apply to UT because I don't really like Austin and couldn't see myself living there for three years. I didn't apply to U of H because it is a bit too close to home and I'm trying to be a little more independent from the family, same for South Texas (one of my cousins is actually a professor there so that would probably be worse).

I applied to Baylor because I love trial law and actually being in the courtroom. They have one of the best trial advocacy programs in the nation, and since that is what I am most passionate about in the law field, that is where I applied! South Texas has a great trial law program as well, but again, I'm kind of tired of my parents having a closer relationship with my professors than I do.

These comments sound fairly close to believe the oft- (and rightly-) maligned "specialty rankings" of the US News. That said,  Baylor is a good school--good luck!

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2009, 06:51:19 PM »

These comments sound fairly close to believe the oft- (and rightly-) maligned "specialty rankings" of the US News. That said,  Baylor is a good school--good luck!

I would put Baylor slightly lower than SMU and UH, mainly due to its location.