Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: texas law schools  (Read 15239 times)

mccarthy

• View Profile
texas law schools
« on: October 11, 2009, 07:48:45 PM »
 Hey guys. I am starting this thread in the hopes that those of us in this community who are trying to attend law school in Texas might discuss the ins and outs with one another. To start, I have a 3.49 GPA and a 162 LSAT (June '09). I'm applying to all the schools in Texas except Texas Southern and Texas Wesleyan, and my first choice is the law center in Houston. I feel like I've got a decent chance of getting in there, but we'll just have to wait to see. Any Texans or Texas school hopefuls out there?

USAFVETERAN

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: texas law schools
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 08:46:24 PM »
Your numbers appear to be good for U of H. Every other school in Texas should take a good look at you.  However, your gpa may not make you overly competitive for UT.

mccarthy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 08:48:59 PM »
 Thanks for the words of encouragement. Yeah, I don't think I'm UT material, at least not in terms of numbers. I'm really only applying there on the "You never know" principle. Are you looking at any Texas schools yourself?

armyjag

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 01:24:30 AM »
Honestly, unless you have a deep-seated need to live in San Antonio, I wouldn't even bother with St. Mary's.  That's school's pretty dead end.
Proving there is redemption in this world...

mccarthy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 03:35:23 AM »
 That's pretty harsh. Would you care to elaborate?

USAFVETERAN

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 09:38:43 AM »
I do not go to school in Texas.  I am just from there.  However, with your numbers you should get into a decent school.  Outside of UT the next best would arguably be SMU in Dallas.  They have a superb hold in the Metroplex as far as being recruited. 

mccarthy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 11:09:30 AM »
Going to SMU would have the added advantage of getting me close enough to see the Rangers play once a week and of allowing me to eat at the Greek. If I even had time for these things...

mccarthy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 11:10:51 AM »
Not sure why I said greek. I meant the Egyptian...

USAFVETERAN

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 01:13:46 AM »
Going to SMU would have the added advantage of getting me close enough to see the Rangers play once a week and of allowing me to eat at the Greek. If I even had time for these things...
Uh...not sure why you said RANGERS????? But anyway.  After the first couple of months you will find time to do things that you want to do even if it is attending a Ranger game or going out for Greek.  To absolutley frank with you law school is not entirely hard.  The hard part is time management.  I think that most folks here would agree to this.  Also, I compare law school to sports.  If you like the Rangers, for instance, you probably are aware of the different type of rules involved in baseball.  You can recognize a foul.  You can recognize an err (I am not well versed on baseball so I will refer to football from now on).  In football you know a pass interference when you see one.  You know a facemask penalty when you see one.  This is basically how law school works as far as I have noticed.  It is about knowing rules, knowing when the rules have been violated, and to a degree what the defenses to these violations would be (like throwing the red challenge flag, if you will).  I simplify this way to keep it in perpective.  Instead of spotting rule violations of a game you are spotting rule violations in society. I am not sure why I just went into that rant when all you were asking about was a law school in Texas.  However, which school you get in I wish you the best.

mccarthy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 02:42:15 PM »
Uh...not sure why you said RANGERS?????
lol Yes I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment. This season was no exception and was perhaps worse in that they appeared to be making moves. Oh well...Anyway,that's an interesting perspective you've offered. I've been going into this assuming (and being told) that it will be one of the hardest things I've ever done.