Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What should I major in?  (Read 1662 times)

FutureOfLaw

• View Profile
What should I major in?
« on: October 10, 2009, 10:09:49 PM »
I am a junior in high school looking to go to law school after my undergraduate work is done I know some may think I am young to be looking so far ahead but I would like to get opinions on what to major in in college. I was looking at a pre-law program but have heard it is not always best that you want to set your self apart for other applicants when applying to top law schools. I want to be a DA or work as a criminal attorney and would like help please.
                                                                        Thank you

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: What should I major in?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 06:43:51 PM »
It really doesn't matter what you major in as long as you can maintain a high GPA.

I would definitely avoid a "pre-law" major. They are pretty much looked down upon. At the same time, nothing you can major in will "set you apart". The only thing that really sets you apart is your LSAT score.

The good news is that criminal law is relatively easy to break into compared to other practice areas.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

oceansmarine

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: What should I major in?
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 01:39:35 PM »
Earn a degree within your field of Interest First.  We designed the process to ensure that you would not come out with a worthless degree.  If you desire law school, your GPA will be leveraged by LSDAS with your test score LSAT to benchmark the adjusted GPA.

As for finances.  Plan on your worse case scenario in that You will be (are) heading back home to start you legal profession and that you will not be offered a job.  If you can stomach that thought, your home free and keep in mind that you have a identifiable potential in law school in respects to GPA.   Articles:  'Fixing law school admissions' Wesleyan Argus University paper Google and then click on Web. A Good Summary of the situation based on GPA, employment and the objectives of the old council.

Law School is a business and they offer no money back guarantees should you fail financially after graduation !!   Never attend a law school without getting your BA first !! It's all about employment