Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Would you mind looking over my LSAT addendum?  (Read 1814 times)

dactylion

• View Profile
    • Email
Would you mind looking over my LSAT addendum?
« on: October 10, 2009, 06:42:40 PM »
Addendum concerning LSAT score discrepancy

In October of 2008, I took the LSAT for the first time. On the day of the test, I had a cold and headache, which I believe prevented me from performing to my full potential. However, I did not cancel my score, because I thought I had still done well. I was pleased with my score of 170, but my practice tests indicated that I could do even better. I took the LSAT again in June, 2009, and I believe this second score of 177 is a better reflection of my true abilities.

I know many people advised against providing an addendum at all, when both scores are so high, but I spoke to a number of adcom representatives at a law school fair and every one of them told me to submit an addendum so they could understand the significant increase in my score. Thanks!

wyatth

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Would you mind looking over my LSAT addendum?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 11:04:48 PM »
If they told you to go ahead with one, then I say do it... And given that, yours looks fine.

jmb06010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 09:25:07 AM »
I don't think you need an addendum to be honest. I don't know of any school that's going to look at a 170 and 177 and will hold the lower score against you. In addition, almost every school does not average LSAT scores and just takes the higher one. You're going to be in good shape regardless.

eslite119

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 02:16:57 PM »
dactylion,

First off, I think you're score is amazing.  I agree with jmb and I really don't think you should submit an addendum explaining your LSAT score.  I ran into a similar situation and consulted with my undergraduate law school counselor and my private consultant, and they both said providing explanation on something that is not really a weakness can come off as "bragging." 

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 07:36:14 PM »
providing explanation on something that is not really a weakness can come off as "bragging." 

This.

dactylion

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 08:32:31 PM »
I actually agree with everyone who says not to submit an addendum. To me, it seems unnecessary, but I explained my situation to admissions reps from Michigan, UChicago, Columbia, and NYU and they all said to submit an addendum. They made it sound like with an addendum, they would discount the lower score, but without an addendum, they would sit around wondering why I had two scores more than three points apart. It seems self-explanatory to me, but that's what they said.

dactylion

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 08:40:08 PM »
I also really don't mean to brag; I'm proud of both my scores, but my GPA is on the lower end for top schools (3.66), so I'm kind of banking on my LSAT score to pull me up.