Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Who's more selective: BU or BC?  (Read 2478 times)

jmb06010

• View Profile
    • Email
Who's more selective: BU or BC?
« on: October 09, 2009, 09:15:49 PM »
I'm looking into law schools in Boston because that is where I want to spend the next 3 years (badly) and I love the schools up there. Unfortunately My GPA is currently near the 25% percentile for BU and BC, and my LSAT isn't there...yet. I see both as reach schools for me, so I'd prefer to apply to one rather than both. I'm trying to decide which school I have a better shot of getting in at. Based on the LSAT/GPA, all signs seem to point to BC as being slightly easier. However, some evidence reveals the contrary. BC had more applicants and fewer offers, and also gave me a lesser chance of acceptance based on the LSAC.com GPA/LSAT evaluator for schools.

Ultimately, I'm not sure. Does anyone know which school I'd have a better shot at?

Thanks,
Jason

dischord

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Who's more selective: BU or BC?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 11:09:05 PM »
In general (obviously there are exceptions), BC tends to be more selective based on GPA, and they reject/waitlist a lot of people in or above their range, which seems to indicate that they care a lot about soft factors.  BU requires higher LSATs, is a bit more splitter-friendly for high LSATs, and seems to have a less random admissions strategy -- their admissions patterns seem to correspond well to their LSAT/GPA ranges. 

It's a bit hard to say where you fall without knowing your numbers.  Honestly, I'd just try to get that LSAT up, and even if you don't, I'd still apply to both if you're anywhere close to their LSAT ranges.  There are a lot of cross-admits, but plenty of people get into BU and not BC, as well as the other way around. 
At least I can f-ing think.

amassherst

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 12:03:44 PM »
I'm in your same boat.  The Titanic!  Just kidding, but honestly, I'm looking at BU and BC as very top choices for my search, but they're both reaches for me.  My GPA is below the 25% for BC and my practice tests were at the 25%.  Waiting for September results.  I'm banking on my softs, 5 yrs F/T WE, URM and other factors to give me a slight boost.  Both BU and BC are prayers for me, but I hope to stay in Mass and Harvard is out of the question, and Northeastern seems a bit risky. 

miller

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 09:53:55 AM »
BC is slightly More selective but not by much.  It is also the better school, but not by much.  The two schools are very different, and yet, very similar.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 03:09:10 PM »
I'm in your same boat.  The Titanic!  Just kidding, but honestly, I'm looking at BU and BC as very top choices for my search, but they're both reaches for me.  My GPA is below the 25% for BC and my practice tests were at the 25%.  Waiting for September results.  I'm banking on my softs, 5 yrs F/T WE, URM and other factors to give me a slight boost.  Both BU and BC are prayers for me, but I hope to stay in Mass and Harvard is out of the question, and Northeastern seems a bit risky. 

What kid of URM are you? 

amassherst

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 02:14:58 PM »

What kid of URM are you? 

I'm screwed, that's what I am.  I just my September scores.  Might as well take BU and BC completely off my list.  153.  Worse than just about all my practice exams.  Anyway, to answer your Q, Contract2008, AA.

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 05:00:47 PM »

What kid of URM are you? 

I'm screwed, that's what I am.  I just my September scores.  Might as well take BU and BC completely off my list.  153.  Worse than just about all my practice exams.  Anyway, to answer your Q, Contract2008, AA.

Sorry to hear about your setback.  Of course, if you did a lot worse than all of your practice exams, consider retaking.  Also, the 153 doesn't completely screw you because being AA really helps.  However, you'll probably have to be at the median or even above the 75% to have a shot.  Do you have many hours left to go? 

eta: if even nothing changes, I still wouldn't take them off the list.  There's *some* chance of a WL at least.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 07:45:09 PM »

What kid of URM are you? 

You're IN! 

Okay, I am a little exaggerating.  But, you got options. I have read it somewhere that blacks get about .5 boost on their GAP and about 5 - 10 points boost on their LSAT.  So, you're about 3.5/160.  Tons of Tier 2 and maybe some tier 1 will take you. 

amassherst

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 09:25:05 AM »
Ugh.  Got my scores.  153.  Ouch!

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 01:14:38 PM »
Ugh.  Got my scores.  153.  Ouch!

When you said AA, you mean African American and not Asian American, right?