Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cooley sued the ABA for non-accrediation of its satellite campuses and lost.  (Read 1796 times)

USC313

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I wasn't aware of this case until I noticed a cite to it in my administrative law supplement, at 459 F.3d 705. I think I'm beginning to better understand the contempt that has been expressed for Cooley on this board, especially with language in the opinion like this: "Further, the sanction could not be described as arbitrary and unreasonable given the highly deferential standard of review and the evidence of the school's blatant and intentional noncompliance with ABA rules."

Crazy.

Frogconcept

• View Profile
Awesome, I can jack this thread and the attention it will surely generate to get responses to my question, and since I'm a Cooley student it's still somewhat relevant!

So that being said, at a school like Cooley, does moot court or mock trial confer any real boost to ones resume, or am I more benefited by simply concentrating on academics?  I still haven't made a final decision on whether or not I plan to transfer, so I'm speaking in terms of transferring as well as in terms of summer positions. 

Thanks for the input!

lawguyFL

• View Profile
While you may not have been aware of that case you should also realize that the ABA came around and granted the acquiescence and approve the other two (and now three campuses) later that month.

I'd love to see all these cooley bashers see how far they could get if they attended cooley.

Sure the school takes tons of people and gives every one a shot, but you have to work and produce unlike many other schools where once you are in you have an easy ride to graduation.

September '08 Cooley grad here passed FL bar this past Feb..
Notice the scores for the Florida schools relative to out of state for that bar exam.

xxspykex

• View Profile
    • Email
Real question: why even go to Cooley? Doesn't the lifetime of debt and virtually no job prospects scare you a little (not to mention the fact that everyone will try to not laugh in your face when you tell them you went to Cooley, which will continue for the rest of your career no matter how good of a lawyer you are)? ...  Even if you go for free it seems pointless because you have literally no possibility of finding a job even as the absolute top student there (even t14 students can't find jobs this year, Cooley grads sure as *&^% aren't going to).

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email

at a school like Cooley, does moot court or mock trial confer any real boost to ones resume, or am I more benefited by simply concentrating on academics? 

Academics. Moot court and mock trial are only valuable if you win something.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
While you may not have been aware of that case you should also realize that the ABA came around and granted the acquiescence and approve the other two (and now three campuses) later that month.

I'd love to see all these cooley bashers see how far they could get if they attended cooley.

Sure the school takes tons of people and gives every one a shot, but you have to work and produce unlike many other schools where once you are in you have an easy ride to graduation.

September '08 Cooley grad here passed FL bar this past Feb..
Notice the scores for the Florida schools relative to out of state for that bar exam.

"Everyone" is one word.

Yeah, being in constant fear of flunking out like about 20% of your classmates is so incredibly conducive to learning... Oh, and then there's that general inability to pass the bar outside of MI thing...
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

mccarthy

• View Profile

My guess is they wouldn't get very far, and that's why people don't want to go there. That is, if you mean how far in life can one get after ls...

lawguyFL

• View Profile

"Everyone" is one word.

Yeah, being in constant fear of flunking out like about 20% of your classmates is so incredibly conducive to learning... Oh, and then there's that general inability to pass the bar outside of MI thing...

General inability to pass the bar outside of MI - you may want to do a little research on that cause that is a bunch of crap.
Its amazing how many people seem to know so much about cooley.

in my time there the people who failed out were mainly those who didn't want to do the work and instead act like they were still in undergrad.

As for people laughing in the face again did you go to cooley? That's not been my experience down here.

On the Feb '09 FL Bar look at how great the stats were for the well regarded schools not very impressive.

lawguyFL

• View Profile

My guess is they wouldn't get very far, and that's why people don't want to go there. That is, if you mean how far in life can one get after ls...

please i mean how far they would get while at cooley not afterwards. What you do afterwards has more to do with the ground work you lay more than anything else.

mccarthy

• View Profile

please i mean how far they would get while at cooley not afterwards. What you do afterwards has more to do with the ground work you lay more than anything else.

I was just trying to be clever...but in all sincerity, I support someone's desire to study no matter at what institution the studying is done. As you said, I don't really know a lot about cooley other than the received wisdom