Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Defending my brother. Need help!  (Read 3581 times)

jforddefense

• View Profile
    • Email
Defending my brother. Need help!
« on: October 09, 2009, 12:23:36 PM »
My older brother is currently incarcerated for Assault with a deadly weapon and facing thirty years in prison. We are not wealthy persons and he has a public defender, but I am not sure if he has my brothers best intrests at heart. So I have been going around trying to collect some sort of defense for him.

Even though he assaulted the guy, the man was coming at him with two knives threatening violence and bodily harm. I really feel like he has a case being the circumstances.

I know my brother and he would not assault someone unless he feared he was in danger.
If anyone can help me in anyway please contact me at only1_reddog@hotmail.com

Thank you.

USC313

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Defending my brother. Need help!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 08:55:26 PM »
You should re-post this in on the General Board. I'm not sure how much helpful advice you'll receive in the "pre-law" threads. Click "Discussion" under "Students & Graduates" to the left, then click on "General Board" and post there.

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
  • 45 y/o Non-Trad-2012 cycle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Defending my brother. Need help!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 10:24:40 PM »
NOTE FOR POSTERITY (and people new to the legal field)

NO ONE who is an unlicensed attorney may represent anyone other than themselves (Pro Se), or give legal advice of any kind.  There are exceptions, of course, but these are most associated with federal agencies, NOT criminal courts.

This is called "The Unauthorized Practice of Law (or UPL)."  In my home state, Florida, this is a 3rd Degree Felony (i.e. go up the river, do not pass go, no law school, etc etc,)

The OP himself, however well intentioned, was not well advised to try to "put together a defense," especially on a public internet board.  I am glad that no one responded.  It shows the savvy that most of us here aspire to.

Cheers
"Why be a lawyer? I'm already an ass.  Might as well go professional!"