I'm a non-trad, 12 years out of undergraduate. I've touched base with a couple of former professors for LOR, but I think I'll get the best letters from post-university references.
- District court judge (a professional contact who turned into a personal friend)
- English professor/civic organizer (ditto; never took a class from him)
- Newspaper publisher (aka my boss's boss, with whom I have a great professional relationship)
- Managing editor (my boss)
- College professor (probably the weakest letter)
Does that look like a decent list?