Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Legal Issues  (Read 601 times)

uncrebel11

• View Profile
    • Email
Legal Issues
« on: October 08, 2009, 04:15:48 PM »
So, after two minor incidents before college involving alcohol, I was able to keep my nose clean for over 4 years with no legal issues other than a speeding ticket.  After deciding to take a year off in between undergraduate and law school to work and do some volunteer work, I was cited for DWI about a week ago.  Due to the specifics of the case that I won't get into here, the trial won't take place until about 6 months from now.

I have scoured over this board and the Internet to try and find someone in the same situation (I know there are several threads about DUI/DWI, but I couldn't find one that is close to my own situation).  I was all set to send in my completed applications as soon as was possible and now I don't know exactly what to do.  I know that I will have to disclose that I was charged even though I haven't been convicted and won't know if I will or not until after January.  I'm very concerned as to what admissions boards will make of a charge like this right before I sent in an application, whether or not it is a conviction at this point.

Grades, LSAT, etc. are sufficient I think to get into my target schools and I'm afraid an issue like this would be enough for someone to say no since it just happened.

Any insight or advice would be much appreciated.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: Legal Issues
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 12:41:37 PM »
The fact that it just happened is going to be your biggest hurdel, I had 2 DUIs but there were sevral years before I applied. You can ither apply now and see what happens, or take anouther year off and get involved in a program, the past boze violations plus a recnet DUI are going to sya to an adcom you might have a drinking problem. See if you can quit for a year and get into some program and give back to the community and reaplly next year would be what i would do.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 04:55:12 PM »
I agree with Matthies. Apply now if you absolutely must, but don't get your hopes up. I would start making plans for something to do for the next 1-2 years just in case law school doesn't work out this cycle. Definitely get into a program. Last thing you want to do is get another DUI or other legal problem once you are in school.

JNasty2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 08:21:20 PM »
I agree with Matthies. Apply now if you absolutely must, but don't get your hopes up. I would start making plans for something to do for the next 1-2 years just in case law school doesn't work out this cycle. Definitely get into a program. Last thing you want to do is get another DUI or other legal problem once you are in school.

I would say take a few years off, and work out your personal life before you go ahead and start law school. I can't speak to your character, but if it is in fact good you will be vindicated over time, but it will take time. Mistakes happene to everyone, and don't be defined by them, but understand that you need to give others reason to believe that you are past your recent troubles (mistakes). Ask, is now even the best time in my life to undertake something as big as law school? You, as an applicant and citizen, may look drastically better in a few years time. Best of luck to you.