Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3.2 159 Where should I be applying?  (Read 940 times)

BillllBrasky

• View Profile
3.2 159 Where should I be applying?
« on: October 07, 2009, 06:11:42 PM »
I have a 3.2 ugpa with a 159 lsat.  I realize i probably won't be getting into any schools with national reach so what are some good schools that i can can get into that have strong placement in there respective markets?  I will have an average PS and average softs (a good bit of volunteer work and a law internship). I'm getting LORs from a former state attorney general who i know well, a district court judge who i worked for, and two teachers i know fairly well.  I don't care that much where it is as long as it's a decent sized city with a good legal market.

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: 3.2 159 Where should I be applying?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 06:51:25 PM »
I have a 3.2 ugpa with a 159 lsat.  I realize i probably won't be getting into any schools with national reach so what are some good schools that i can can get into that have strong placement in there respective markets?  I will have an average PS and average softs (a good bit of volunteer work and a law internship). I'm getting LORs from a former state attorney general who i know well, a district court judge who i worked for, and two teachers i know fairly well.  I don't care that much where it is as long as it's a decent sized city with a good legal market.

Would you rather go to a school that's in a more remote smaller city which dominates its market or at a bigger city at a respectable school yet falls somewhere around 4th or 5th in the local hierarchy?  In other words would you rather go to Chicago-Kent and compete against NW, Chicago, and Illinois students or go to Samford - a school which places very well in Birmingham?

BillllBrasky

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 07:51:20 PM »
Definietly the latter.  As of right now, I'm looking into Samford for Birmingham and Loyola for New Orleans.  Are there any other T2-T3 schools like these that place well in mid-sized cities?

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 09:39:39 PM »
Definietly the latter.  As of right now, I'm looking into Samford for Birmingham and Loyola for New Orleans.  Are there any other T2-T3 schools like these that place well in mid-sized cities?

Ole Miss might sort of fit what you're looking for.  It places well and you could potentially go to Memphis.  Creighton is worth looking into.  University of South Carolina might be perfect for you.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 01:48:33 AM »
 LSU, Miami, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, and South Carolina would all be worth looking at.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

lawboy81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 01:33:44 PM »
If you like NOLA it might be worthwhile applying to Tulane. It's probably a long shot, but you could get lucky. On the other hand, I don't think Tulane's worth full price.
LSU is a good bet. Your grades are fine for LSU and it places very well in Baton Rouge and Shreveport I hear.
I don't think Ole Miss places well in Memphis, but it's a nice school.
Florida State dominates Tallahassee...

You could check out Georgia State, University of Houston, and SMU's part-time program if you really want a larger city.

(I'm just talking about Southern cities since you mentioned Southern schools).