Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Fee Waiver  (Read 6343 times)

jsimp

• View Profile
    • Email
Fee Waiver
« on: October 07, 2009, 11:27:02 AM »
I received an email from Washington & Lee telling me that they were going to give me a fee waiver so that I would apply there. The thing is, I didn't even ask for one from the school. Is it common for schools to send fee waiver to people who haven't applied to the school yet? Does that mean I had a good chance of actually getting into the school?

NYCFed

• View Profile
Re: Fee Waiver
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 05:25:49 PM »
I didn't think Washington and Lee even had a fee.  I received an unsolicited fee waiver from William and Mary and applied.  It can either mean they liked your LSAT score or perhaps the more cynical explanation, they just want to pad their applicant #'s for ranking purposes.

Isis

• Divinely Inspired & Victoriously Anointed!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 12:34:03 AM »
I received an email from Washington & Lee telling me that they were going to give me a fee waiver so that I would apply there. The thing is, I didn't even ask for one from the school. Is it common for schools to send fee waiver to people who haven't applied to the school yet? Does that mean I had a good chance of actually getting into the school?

Did you recieve a waiver from LSAC?

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 12:44:17 AM »

- Yes it's common.  Almost everyone is signed up with the Candidate Referral Service even if they don't realize it.  Schools can obtain limited information about you like LSAT score and GPA and then give you a fee waiver.  Check your e-mail, more will come.

- How good your chance is to get in depends on the school.  Generally a fee waiver means that you have a shot.  Fee waivers don't typically go to applicants with zero shot.  Some schools have more rigorous standards for fee waivers meaning that one's shot is good, other schools give them out liberally.  Check lawschoolnumbers.com and see where your numbers fall relative to a given school.  That's much more accurate that deciphering a fee waiver.

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 06:49:34 AM »
It might not mean much coming from them because their application is free anyway
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

jsimp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 12:41:30 PM »
So, I checked there website and there is no fee waiver.

"We know that these are challenging financial times for a great many people, and we don't want an application fee to preclude you from applying to W&L Law. Consequently, we have made the necessary arrangements with the Law School Admissions Council (LSAC) so that no fee will be assessed when you apply electronically via LSAC. For this admissions cycle, applying to W&L Law will be free of charge."

StonewallJacksonFan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 01:52:08 PM »
happened to me too...i thought they liked me and it turns out they like all lsac registrants...

amassherst

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 04:51:04 PM »
I got one from Washington & Lee.  This year, they gave fee waivers to everyone because of the economy, I think. 

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 05:36:54 PM »
Their application has been free for at least the past several years
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.