Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is mid-40s too old for UBC Law?  (Read 6072 times)

richappa

• View Profile
Is mid-40s too old for UBC Law?
« on: October 07, 2009, 12:36:54 AM »
I want to apply to UBC Law.
My profile :
45 yrs old
I have B.S and M.S in Electrical/Computer Engineering (3.45 GPA in Undergradute; 3.7 GPA in Graduate)
Have been working as engineer or manager for the last 20 years in the computer/IT industries.
Haven't taken LSAT yet (registered for Dec date)

What are my chances of getting in, with my age being what it is?  SHOULD I even bother?  As far as I know, UBC doesn't even have a Mature Student admission.

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Is mid-40s too old for UBC Law?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 01:15:03 PM »
Absolutely not too old.

iirc, UBC does have a special considerations category in which you might be able to apply.

Moreover, you still have a relatively strong undergraduate GPA, with graduate work in an engineering program (law schools love science majors). You will likely gain a little slack for your GPA relative to humanities/social science majors.

However, neither of these considerations will make you an autoadmit. If your LSAT score is close to the median for the school (approx. 164 I believe) you should be in good shape to apply.

Good luck.

richappa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 07:24:46 PM »
Hi Mars,
Thanks very much for your encouraging words.   Hopefully, I will do ok on the LSAT in Dec.

I look forward to hearing from others too.

t4bound

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 10:22:01 PM »
You should GO FOR IT!!! When you do get into law school you will realize that there are several law students your age and some will be older.  If you crunch the numbers, most law school's average age of students is 27ish.  That means that there is a healthy supply of older students to balance out the traditional (early 20's).  I am 33 and just started law school.  My class is about 70% younger than me and roughly 30% around my age or older.  When you get in you will find that law school is about people who have a passion to be an attorney.  This passion is not discriminant of age. Although, specifically I cannot speak for the populous of UBC. Notwithstanding this you should follow your dream.  To answer your question more direct, NO mid-40's is not too old.  It is just right.  Imagine the substance that YOU bring to class.  Strike whilst the iron is hot!!!

richappa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 12:07:31 PM »
Thank you for your encouragement, t4bound!!

beakerboy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 04:25:13 PM »
I spoke with someone in the admissions department at UBC law and there is a special access category that they admit people in.  If you apply in that category but would be accepted in the regular stream do to GPA/LSAT you are admitted in the regular stream, you're accepted in the regular stream to preserve spaces for the special access category.

Like you, I have an engineering degree (chem E) and worked in the process control industry for 10 years.  I asked if the engineering degree would help offset my sketchy undergraduate marks (which are substantially lower than what you say yours are) and she told me that with the practice LSAT scores I was getting (high 160s), together with the work experience, that I would be very competitive, so assuming you do even passably well on the LSAT I imagine that you would look even better.

Good luck.