Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Help coming up with a topic (Edited because no answers)  (Read 696 times)

vthokie21

• View Profile
Help coming up with a topic (Edited because no answers)
« on: October 06, 2009, 09:23:02 PM »
I need some advice for a topic. I've been thinking about this for a while and writing a list of different issues/situations from my past to use as a topic. If you're interested let me know and I'll share my info.

Okay, I'm editing this with some info in the hopes that I'll get a response. I'm an URM and also LGBT applicant. I enlisted in the Marines at 17 with the hope of serving my country and paying for college, because my mother couldn't afford to send me to college. I wanted to be a pilot, which required a college degree and commission. I ended up getting the Marine ROTC scholarship after spending some time in the active-duty Marines, but I was medically disqualified my junior year of undergrad after having an operation for back problems (that was actually my second surgery during undergrad, my first was emergency surgery near the end of the spring semester my freshman year). I barely made it back to school my junior year as I was going to school out-of-state and the loans I had to take out when I lost my scholarship didn't completely cover the expense. I ended up taking out an additional loan with the school that had to be paid back by the end of the semester, so I worked 20 to 30 hours a week at McDonalds, while taking 19 credits that semester. I worked my junior and senior year to be able to afford everything and stay in school there. I've been out of school for 4 years now, and I actually just had another surgery a few months ago for the same back problem that disqualified me from ROTC. Is this something I should use as a topic, as far as perseverance? I opened a Word document the other day and just started typing whatever came to mind, and that's where my mind went. Any input or advice would be appreciated!

writetrackad

• info@writetrackadmissions.com | (888) WRIT-TRK
    • View Profile
    • Write Track Admissions
    • Email
Re: Help coming up with a topic
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 12:20:53 AM »
Vthokie 21,

Identifying a topic and theme for your personal statement is the most key aspect of constructing a compelling personal statement.  Have you written down notes and ideas on paper?  If so, please send me your resume and notes and I'll be glad to help you with brainstorming a possible theme and focus.  In addition, I can also share samples of stellar statements with you to facilitate the process, and provide you with statements that merritted admission to top law schools.

Best,

Kal, Write Track Admissions
_____________________________ _____
Write Track Law Admissions
Admission Expert | www.writetrackadmissions.com
info@writetrackadmissions.com
Get Noticed, Get In

casualremark

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Help coming up with a topic (Edited because no answers)
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 11:34:09 PM »
all right, i  gotta ask this: why didn't ya transfer in-state after losing your scholarship? (surely i'm not alone in wondering this? anything for a PS in your answer...?)

vthokie21

• View Profile
Re: Help coming up with a topic (Edited because no answers)
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 10:59:32 AM »
I didn't want to leave Virginia Tech, and even though I was disqualified from ROTC I stayed in the Corps of Cadets there until I graduated. I worked hard to get there and I wasn't leaving for anything. I would have done whatever it took to stay there and finish there, and I did!