Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How many hours a week for school and then later working?  (Read 1301 times)

Basscadet

• View Profile
How many hours a week for school and then later working?
« on: October 06, 2009, 10:53:16 AM »
Hello,

Can anyone share their experiences with law school in terms of the numbers of hours spent studying?  If possible, I would like to contain my courses/studying in the 8-6pm window so that I may spend time with my family. Exceptions, of course, for exam studying, papers, etc.

Also, what kind of time commitment should I expect for those first years working for a firm? I know this can differ dramatically based on the field and size of firm, but are most small-to-medium firms pounding their new recruits for 60+ hours including weekends?

I'm already working 55+ hour weeks regularly...I am just trying to figure out how much more of my free time I can expect to lose.

Thanks!

Papa Bear

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do these shades make me look fat?
    • View Profile
Re: How many hours a week for school and then later working?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 10:24:23 PM »
Estimates will vary widely.  I have no idea how much I studied, but it felt like all the time.  The people I know who did extremely well also worked their tails off the first year.  Second year I studied less but my time was taken up with many other things.  3L is, as far as I can tell, pretty chill.  Basically, law school takes over your life for a couple years, then, when your school can't think of anything anything else to do to you, it makes you pay for a third year.  That said, I'm glad I did it.
"Facts have a well-known liberal bias."

Denny Shore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How many hours a week for school and then later working?
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 02:37:50 PM »
First year commitment is at least 8-10 hours a day with one day off for me.
Figure on an even wash if you work 55 hours a week right now - not much will change.  Second and third year supposedly takes less time studying, but more time on other stuff (moot court, law review, memo's, research, panels, externships, etc).
Treat it like a job and you'll do fine.  Treat it like a return to undergrad and you will have major problems.  Each week is a little different, especially when PRof's change things up.  I've never had to put more than 55-60 hours in yet and I'm doing just fine (actually, I'm ahead).