Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What Should I Do?  (Read 520 times)

VU2011

• View Profile
What Should I Do?
« on: October 05, 2009, 07:02:06 PM »
Hello,

I am new to this website, so forgive me if I'm posting this thread in the wrong place.

I am a third-year undergraduate student who transferred to a top-tier private university this semester.  Until recently, I have considered myself a premedical student, but after carefully considering the realities of medical school, my true talents, and other factors, I have decided to change career goals.

I am not convinced that pursuing law school is my goal (how could I be after I have invested time and effort towards being a premedical student?), but I am curious as to how I can go about learning about the field of law.  I have a few friends whose fathers practice law, so I will discuss my situation with them and see what information I can gather.

My major is an interdisciplinary program which offers the chance to take courses in philosophy, sociology, religious studies, history, anthropology, psychology, etc.; what subjects would benefit me the most on the path to law school?

Also, I am hoping that someone has a link to a website which offers vast amounts of information concerning law school and most importantly the field of law in general. 

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

jammer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What Should I Do?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 08:26:26 PM »
Hello,

I am new to this website, so forgive me if I'm posting this thread in the wrong place.

I am a third-year undergraduate student who transferred to a top-tier private university this semester.  Until recently, I have considered myself a premedical student, but after carefully considering the realities of medical school, my true talents, and other factors, I have decided to change career goals.

I am not convinced that pursuing law school is my goal (how could I be after I have invested time and effort towards being a premedical student?), but I am curious as to how I can go about learning about the field of law.  I have a few friends whose fathers practice law, so I will discuss my situation with them and see what information I can gather.

My major is an interdisciplinary program which offers the chance to take courses in philosophy, sociology, religious studies, history, anthropology, psychology, etc.; what subjects would benefit me the most on the path to law school?

Also, I am hoping that someone has a link to a website which offers vast amounts of information concerning law school and most importantly the field of law in general. 

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Honestly, the best thing you can do for yourself right now is to talk to those lawyers. You're already ahead of the curve in that department because you should really get a feel for the law before you commit 3 years and $200,000 of your life to it. It seems like common sense, but I don't get the sense a lot of my classmates did that.

As for a particular field to study, just pick something you're interested in that you can do well in. There really isn't an undergrad subject that can prepare you better than the others...One thing to consider is that a science or engineering degree might open more doors than the traditional liberal arts degree in areas like patent law.

wyatth

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 12:40:04 AM »
2 points to make:

The legal field is SO vast. There litigators and transaction attorneys. And of course each focuses on either corporate work, patents, civil rights, ETCETCETCETC.

So, surely there will be something that interests you in Law. Even related to the medical field. But only you can be sure that that position is still best for you.

Lastly, Law Schools don't care about what your undergraduate major is. So worse case, keep pursuing Med School but if you have a chance next summer, take an LSAT prep course and knock the exam out. Then you can apply to both Med and Law. This seems erratic, and probably is, but it's definitely a possibility. Law schools might even like your B.S. over B.A.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 02:44:37 PM »

Lastly, Law Schools don't care about what your undergraduate major is.

Unless it's comm/hotel management/etc.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Recent LS Grad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 05:33:29 PM »
what subjects would benefit me the most on the path to law school?

I'm not sure what you mean by "the path to law school," but I think that the subjects that are most useful to know in law school itself are some basic philosophy and economics.