Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Still have a chance if I take LSAT in December?  (Read 2082 times)

commscholar

• View Profile
Still have a chance if I take LSAT in December?
« on: October 04, 2009, 04:10:00 PM »
Hi.  I'm not going to get to take the LSAT until December.  Will I still be viable as an applicant?  Will I still be able to get the best scholarships?  Or it really too late to apply? How long does it take to get the LSAT score to the schools?  NYU has a Jan. 1 scholarship deadline.  Would the score get there in time?

Also, as a non-traditional student, I'm  a little confused.  I'm a professor, with a MA and a Ph.D. and some publications in my field.  What I'm hearing on these boards is that none of that really matters, that despite the MA and Ph.D. they'll only really look at my undergrad grades and LSAT, and consider me basically the same as new undergrad graduate with similar UGPA and LSAT scores.  This sounds absolutely crazy to me, especially since just by having a Ph.D. I've demonstrated research, writing, and critical thinking skills far beyond anything an undergraduate can imagine (I know, I teach them).  I figured I would be in top running for scholarships from T14 schools with my academic accomplishments.

so is it true, that all of us "non-traditionals" with amazing academic abilities, are considered the same as the right out of undergrad applicants?  Do they really just look at UGPA (not graduate) and LSAT?

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
Re: Still have a chance if I take LSAT in December?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 08:36:44 PM »
Admissions are more or less first-come-first-served, so an identical application that arrives before yours gets your seat.  The later you apply, the more disadvantaged you are.  Scholarship money is doled out in much the same fashion.

The emphasis on UGPA comes from the fact that the US News rankings are driven largely by UGPA and LSAT scores of applicants each cycle.  Obviously your other accomplishments will be taken into consideration, but generally only after the school is sure that it'll meet its numerical goals for UGPA and LSAT averages by enrolling you.  In other words, if you're a 3.5/165, and another applicant with no good soft factors also has a 3.5/165, you're probably lightyears ahead.  How you'd stack up against, say, a 4.0/172 with no good softs probably depends on the school's need for numbers that particular cycle.

trudawg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 01:02:38 PM »
I'm in the same boat with regards to taking the test in December. I just dropped the ball and didn't realize that I needed to have taken the test by this year in order to attend LS next fall.(i know...i know) I really don't want to take a year off between the end of undergrad and the begining of LS. How screwed are December test takers??

commscholar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 12:01:51 AM »
Thanks EarlCat, that's helpful.  Any more responses about how screwed we really are to take the LSAT in December?  anyone know when the scores will get to law schools if I take it December?

Richard4RollTide

• Only the best will do!
    • MSN Messenger - Richard4RollTide@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Richard4RollTide
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Richard4RollTide
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 02:00:44 PM »
As someone who is registered for the December LSAT, the date that LSAC is giving me for the scores to be emailed is Jan 4th. So, that's the earliest that it's posted to your LSAC account, which means 3 days beyond the deadline.
LSAT - December 2009
GPAs - UGPA - 2.833, Last 24 GPA - 3.4163, Last 48 GPA - 3.7215, Maj GPA - 3.38, Minor GPA - 4.165
LSN: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/rwhennings3