Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: FAMU Law School  (Read 19352 times)

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: FAMU Law School
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 12:16:34 AM »
Don't go to FAMU. Just don't. It's arguably the worst law school in Florida.

but it's also the only one in orlando...she appears to be a single mother of 3 (since she didn't say married with 3) so what do you propose as her alternatives?

Not go to law school. Or move.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 12:18:17 AM »

Trust me, I know, and it's a shame. I'm just wondering if they've managed to get their poo together compared with a couple of years ago. I figure Barry has been around long enough that they should have gotten better if they were ever going to. (Contrast them with FIU, which is roughly the same age.)

FWIW, I did find out at the LSAC forum that there's a steady stream of transfers from the place, so it's become almost a "prep school" for the top performers to move up & out, especially to UF & FSU.

"Top performers" is key. Like 90% of the people that go to the lesser schools in FL are screwed.

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 11:11:42 AM »

but it's also the only one in orlando...she appears to be a single mother of 3 (since she didn't say married with 3) so what do you propose as her alternatives?

Ouch.  Why so blunt?  And how come I never see you say anything nice on the boards?

Are you in FSU law or are you an FSU grad (from undergrad)?

If her support system to help with those 3 kids is in orlando she is going to need to stay put.  Unless she gets into/has relatives or friends committed to helping out near a better ranked school.

I am sure FAMU put that school there precisely because that is a gap in the law school geography, and to serve the folks who may have legal career aspirations but need to stay put.

Plus I notice they went from being provisionally accredited to fully ABA accredited so they must be doing something right.

I personally would not want to be bothered with FAMU's administrative and financial aid b.s. though.  lol But that's just me.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 09:07:32 PM »

Ouch.  Why so blunt?  And how come I never see you say anything nice on the boards?

If her support system to help with those 3 kids is in orlando she is going to need to stay put.  Unless she gets into/has relatives or friends committed to helping out near a better ranked school.

I am sure FAMU put that school there precisely because that is a gap in the law school geography, and to serve the folks who may have legal career aspirations but need to stay put.

Plus I notice they went from being provisionally accredited to fully ABA accredited so they must be doing something right.

I personally would not want to be bothered with FAMU's administrative and financial aid b.s. though.  lol But that's just me.

I'm generally blunt and to the point because that's how you have to be at this level. You don't have to be a total male private part to everyone, but you do have to realize that sugarcoating things helps no one and gets nothing accomplished. And I say nice things all the time, you just have to be in the right place at the right time.

Yes, I'm at FSU's law school. Tragically, I didn't go here for UG though.

FAMU probably did put their law school in Orlando because they saw a gap in the market, but I wouldn't be so sure about the other altruistic goals, Barry is already there to serve people trapped in Orlando (albeit at a price). And they did become fully accredited, but I don't see how. How the ABA isn't troubled by a bar passage rate that's consistently in the 50-60% range is beyond me. If they ever implement the 10% rule for continuing accreditation, FAMU Law is going to disappear.

Agree that OP should probably stay put where her support system is if that's indeed what's going on. But I don't think that's a particularly good reason to attend one of the worst law schools in the country. It's probably a bad idea to go to a bad UG because it happens to be where you live. It's definitely a bad idea to go to a bad law school because it's what's in the area.

Not to mention, how is the OP going to even kind of take care of 3 kids while in law school? Even with a good support system in place, OP is still not going to be able to work during 1L and isn't going to really have free time to spend with the kids. There's a reason a lot of people go the HS --> UG --> LS route and put off kids for later. Having 3 kids pretty much precludes you from going to law school until they're out the door or at least old enough to take care of themselves.

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 06:12:53 PM »

I'm generally blunt and to the point because that's how you have to be at this level. You don't have to be a total male private part to everyone, but you do have to realize that sugarcoating things helps no one and gets nothing accomplished. And I say nice things all the time, you just have to be in the right place at the right time.

FAMU probably did put their law school in Orlando because they saw a gap in the market, but I wouldn't be so sure about the other altruistic goals, Barry is already there to serve people trapped in Orlando (albeit at a price). And they did become fully accredited, but I don't see how. How the ABA isn't troubled by a bar passage rate that's consistently in the 50-60% range is beyond me. If they ever implement the 10% rule for continuing accreditation, FAMU Law is going to disappear.

Agree that OP should probably stay put where her support system is if that's indeed what's going on. But I don't think that's a particularly good reason to attend one of the worst law schools in the country. It's probably a bad idea to go to a bad UG because it happens to be where you live. It's definitely a bad idea to go to a bad law school because it's what's in the area.

Not to mention, how is the OP going to even kind of take care of 3 kids while in law school? Even with a good support system in place, OP is still not going to be able to work during 1L and isn't going to really have free time to spend with the kids. There's a reason a lot of people go the HS --> UG --> LS route and put off kids for later. Having 3 kids pretty much precludes you from going to law school until they're out the door or at least old enough to take care of themselves.

I see your points...I don't know what the appeal is with FAMU if one does not live in orlando but I went to FAMU for undergrad (only because they gave me a full scholarship, cause I had actually never heard of them before that)...but just for me personally it could be ranked higher than Harvard I've had enough of the folks in the foote-hilyer administration building. The school has great programs and I like everything else, and much like FSU, the parties are wicked...but I'm ready to deal with a school who delivers financial aid before I'm on the verge of being homeless. lol.

Not really sure how the OP plans to manage...I know my old OB/GYN and his wife sent their kids back home while they were in med school...but this is common for us folks for the Caribbean...split up for a few years to cement a solid future for all the rest of years.

I am definitely pondering sending my younger one back home to start school. If she stays up here and goes public she is forced to start in the year she turns 6.  That is bothering the hell out of me.

Because you are right people are going to need time outside of being in class to research, do homework, participate in what's going on in law school, aba conferences and other networking opportunities...

But somehow I doubt OP has that kind of option to consider.  I haven't finalized anything yet but I hope she's planning on going into public service or solo if she goes to FAM.  And most of the folks i saw in state gov't in Tally were UF and FSU grads...their alumni network is like a million strong. lol.

Isis

• Divinely Inspired & Victoriously Anointed!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2009, 05:24:02 PM »

I see your points...I don't know what the appeal is with FAMU if one does not live in orlando but I went to FAMU for undergrad (only because they gave me a full scholarship, cause I had actually never heard of them before that)...but just for me personally it could be ranked higher than Harvard I've had enough of the folks in the foote-hilyer administration building. The school has great programs and I like everything else, and much like FSU, the parties are wicked...but I'm ready to deal with a school who delivers financial aid before I'm on the verge of being homeless. lol.

Not really sure how the OP plans to manage...I know my old OB/GYN and his wife sent their kids back home while they were in med school...but this is common for us folks for the Caribbean...split up for a few years to cement a solid future for all the rest of years.

I am definitely pondering sending my younger one back home to start school. If she stays up here and goes public she is forced to start in the year she turns 6.  That is bothering the hell out of me.

Because you are right people are going to need time outside of being in class to research, do homework, participate in what's going on in law school, aba conferences and other networking opportunities...

But somehow I doubt OP has that kind of option to consider.  I haven't finalized anything yet but I hope she's planning on going into public service or solo if she goes to FAM.  And most of the folks i saw in state gov't in Tally were UF and FSU grads...their alumni network is like a million strong. lol.

hey legalized, when did you graduate from FAMU? I'm c/o 05

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2009, 02:58:40 PM »
Hey Isis,
class of 2008.

What was your major?

LoveLaughter

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2009, 03:07:02 PM »
Since this posting has taken on a life of its own, let me give you some additional info about myself. I am a married mother of 3 (16, 8, 2). I have an awesome support system made up of family and close friends in the area. I currently work FT and I am in school FT to complete undergrad. My only reason for looking at FAMU is because it is local. I would love to go to UF, but do not see commuting or relocating my family there for 3 years. I will not be working the 1st year of law school. We are originally from NY and have considered moving back there for law school and because we think there are better opportunties there for the kids and, frankly, for us--financially and culturally. FAMU would not be first choice for various reasons, but it is what's available. I have been a paralegal for over 12 years and I am going to law school to give myself more options. I am not so concerned about finding a job after law school because I do have many contacts in NY & FL in my industry coupled with many years of experience. However, I am concerned about their bar passage rate, because if I am not prepared to pass the bar, then what's the point?

Also, FAMU is a consideration because of the tuition. Barry has not even entered my mind as an option. Any additional info that would help me to make the right decision is appreciated.

Thank you all!

booking

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2010, 04:28:13 PM »
Hello. A little late on this discussion but I am a working mother at FAMU COL and really enjoying it. I encourage you to do it there. I have very similar profile to yours but my kids are a little older.
As with any school, you get out of it what you put into it. We have some very bright people - students and profs - there.  Many new resources this year as well. FAMU moot court just blew out major law schools - coming in second place!  Just do it!!!

Jazzy Chic

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2010, 11:05:27 AM »
Hey there.  I am not a FAMU COL grad, but I am a licensed attorney who has interacted with a few FAMU COL JD candidates. 

Candidly speaking, you may need to figure out WHERE you want to work geographically.  If you want to practice in FL, FAMU COL should be a decent option.  MAKE SURE YOU GET OUT AND BROADEN YOUR NETWORK OUTSIDE OF ORLANDO. 

However, if you are trying to relocate to another state after graduation, you need to consider other law schools in FL (if this is definitely where you want to go to law school).  Outside of FL, FAMU COL does not carry much of a name, and employers will generally be more inclined to go with graduates from: 1) higher ranked schools; or 2) state schools (even if they are not accredited). 

Just a few thoughts....

(Background: graduated from law school in 08 and I am currently working for a judge)