Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: FAMU Law School  (Read 18648 times)

LoveLaughter

• View Profile
FAMU Law School
« on: October 03, 2009, 06:12:02 PM »
Hello, all!

I am a working mother of 3 that is going to apply to law school. I live in Orlando and I am wondering if any one has any insight into FAMU law school. I know that they finally received their full ABA approval this summer.

Does anyone attend this school? It currently is not a T1 or T2 for that matter. I cannot even locate their ranking. Has anyone had a hard time finding a job with this school on your resume? How is their program. Is there age diversity in the student population? Ae their a good amount of parents and older students in the school? Any information that you can provide would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Isis

• Divinely Inspired & Victoriously Anointed!!!
    • View Profile
Re: FAMU Law School
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 11:02:21 PM »
Hey, I cannot speak on it, but I have a few friends (and acquaintances) who have graduated from FAMU Law. Send me a pm while I reach out to them. There's a thread on the site about FAMU COL, but it gives very little information about the school. Additionally, FAMU COL is hosting a few open houses throughout this school year. If you are trying to get info, visit the school & talk to the students. I did a visit in the spring, and I got some candid info from students- good and bad. Check them out@ law.famu.edu

Friday, October 2, 2009; Open House for Prospective Students

Saturday, November 21, 2009; Florida Classic Open House for Prospective Students

Monday, January 25, 2010; Open House for Prospective Students

Friday, February 26, 2010; Discover Law Day

DeterminedFL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 12:19:15 AM »
Hi LoveLaughter,

I have heard that FAMU is a great school...one of my friends just graduated from there. From what i have heard its easier to get a job after graduating from FAMU than Barry.

I am also planning on applying to FAMU. I am actually going to apply to barry too. I have a child and husband who love Orlando, so i am stuck here and limited to the two school here.

Have you taken the LSAT already? I am planning on taking it in Feb '10.

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 01:45:56 AM »
Hey, I cannot speak on it, but I have a few friends (and acquaintances) who have graduated from FAMU Law. Send me a pm while I reach out to them. There's a thread on the site about FAMU COL, but it gives very little information about the school. Additionally, FAMU COL is hosting a few open houses throughout this school year. If you are trying to get info, visit the school & talk to the students. I did a visit in the spring, and I got some candid info from students- good and bad. Check them out@ law.famu.edu

Friday, October 2, 2009; Open House for Prospective Students

Saturday, November 21, 2009; Florida Classic Open House for Prospective Students

Monday, January 25, 2010; Open House for Prospective Students

Friday, February 26, 2010; Discover Law Day

It would help to see the good and bad posted here for those who may have the same question as the poster...but just be peeping. (Not me, but just saying.)

Isis

• Divinely Inspired & Victoriously Anointed!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 02:40:56 AM »
Hi LoveLaughter,

I have heard that FAMU is a great school...one of my friends just graduated from there. From what i have heard its easier to get a job after graduating from FAMU than Barry.

I am also planning on applying to FAMU. I am actually going to apply to barry too. I have a child and husband who love Orlando, so i am stuck here and limited to the two school here.

Have you taken the LSAT already? I am planning on taking it in Feb '10.

Hey DeterminedFL--- what type of jobs have your friends landed?

orlando1L

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 03:47:10 PM »
I am an older first year (1L) law student at FAMU Law and I love it.  The school has gone through an overhaul in the last year or so.  Members of the administration and certain professors were let go and other excellent replacements hired.   The professors are bright, supportive and expect you to perform at your greatest level of potential. The new administration holds you to extremely high standards.  The amount of work required is brutal but if you work steadily you can keep up.   I couldn't be more pleased with the experience. 

jollyrog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 12:10:36 AM »
I'm a NT, going to go PT, and I'm still looking at FAMU as a safety, but I'm still a bit concerned. I went to the LSAC forum in Atlanta over the weekend, and was far more impressed by the FAMU people than the guy from Barry. For the money, I can't see Barry, unless you get a scholly, which they do hand out fairly liberally.

Do you hear from the 3Ls who have seen the before/after that the difference is that pronounced? I've heard from many lawyers around town to avoid the place like the plague. Even if their opinion is based on old info, perceptions can be slow to change.

Keep in mind, I'm a very experienced professional earning a very nice living, so going through a four-year slog, just to fight for a job paying $60-70K (which seems like FAMU's high end) isn't my idea of time and effort well spent. So, should I still check out the open house in November?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 01:01:33 AM »
Don't go to FAMU. Just don't. It's arguably the worst law school in Florida.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

jollyrog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 08:43:18 AM »

Trust me, I know, and it's a shame. I'm just wondering if they've managed to get their poo together compared with a couple of years ago. I figure Barry has been around long enough that they should have gotten better if they were ever going to. (Contrast them with FIU, which is roughly the same age.)

FWIW, I did find out at the LSAC forum that there's a steady stream of transfers from the place, so it's become almost a "prep school" for the top performers to move up & out, especially to UF & FSU.

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 12:21:53 PM »

but it's also the only one in orlando...she appears to be a single mother of 3 (since she didn't say married with 3) so what do you propose as her alternatives?